Alkalinity drop

• SRC Member

Recently my tank's Kh been gradually dropping from 8-9 to 5-6 over a month. Corals showing good growth and have outpaced my water change and kalk regime. Been using kalk and i think it has reached its limits for my tank. Need a product to raise alk to 8-9Kh and a way to maintain it there.

My tank paras at the moment are

Alk: 5-6

Ca: 400

Mg: 1200

pH: 8.2

Temp: 26-27

NH3, NO2, NO3: not detectable

Phospate: 0 but got some algae here and there, so i guess its not really zero

Pls recommend a method or product to raise alk to 8-9 and maintain it there. Appreciate any comments. Thx

2 part dosing pump or calcium reactor. You will have to raise the kh first , then tune the doser or CR to maintain.

5-6 alk is too low , sodium bicarbonate will help raise the kh to desired level without overly effecting the ph and calcium like kalk will.

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

Will read up on how to dose sodium bicarbonate to bring up alk first then on a long term dosing method. Probably go with 2part dosing. Wife not going to be happy seeing a co2 cylinder sitting in living room. Will say dangerous for kids. Preemptive strike.

• SRC Member

Just bought this Dupla Marin KH+ powder to boost the kh and the Jebao dosing pump during lunch break. Will dose it tonite and hopefully after few nites, the kh will get back to normal.

Thx for all the advice.

• SRC Member

oh yes, cannot find the calcium bicarbonate as advised, so used this first to fend off the emergency. Later then scour for the complete solution to boost calcium, magnesium and kh together.

Still like to use kalk w vinegar (as suggested by Fuel), so probably use it to maintain levels as well.

• SRC Member

Alk raised to 7 this morning after overnite drip of kh solution. Will pause for daytime n continue to drip slowly at nite again. Repeat till I get back to 9 range. Lucky no observable ill effects in tank atm. Thx again to those who helped n commented.

• SRC Supporter

How much did u mix your kalk with vinegar? Too much of vinegar will also affect your KH.

My little ocean
Mix Reef-Main tank 30 inches Length x 32 inches Width x 18 inches Height
2 X Skim DC return pump
Aquabee 2000 chiller feeder

Hailea 1/2 Chiller
1 X Tunze nano wavebox

2 X EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10W
Deltec skimmer - Internal
Lumenarc 400watt 12K Reeflux

8 X T5 ATI Powermodule
Prolifux control with external touchscreen display
Refugium keeping chaeto

• SRC Member

I dose 1ml daily together with the kalk. Just started for about a month. Is this amt ok? I got a 4x2x2 n a 3 ft sump

suggest u dose sodium bicarbonate is better to supply kh instead of kalk.

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

suggest u dose sodium bicarbonate is better to supply kh instead of kalk.

Thx bro. Just realised sodium bicarbonate can be bought from grocery stores. lol

Now reading up on how to maintain Mg and Calcium levels as well. Any idea where I can get Calcium chloride and Magnesium chloride in powder form? I saw bulk reef supply video but their products not on sale in singapore. Thx