ytpmzy

• SRC Member

I am not sure what's going on.

NO3-5-10ppm

pH 7.8

Ammonia- 0ppm

Salinity 1.023

Temp- 29 degrees Celsius

p.s some suggested me to move it to a lower flow area, just moved it today.

post-24065-0-10410500-1429265520_thumb.j

• SRC Member

hmm... weird... mine tend to do better with more flow...

I really dont know what to do liao -.- ... I now moving him back into higher flow regions ... Now can see the skeleton le ....

• SRC Member

Hammer not an easy coral. Getting a healthy specimen is key. Otherwise it will perish for no apparent reason. High indirect water flow.

How to tell if healthy at the store? haha wondering :pinch:

• SRC Member

A lot of articles on the net. Basically avoid buying immediately when coral arrived, look out for shrivelled tentacles, and flesh separate from skeleton. My 2 cents worth

Thanks haha will look out if I get another hammer

Now that i think of it ... It was healthy up until the goniopora coral was added ... Any one knows if the goniopora is having a chemical warfare with the hammer? Will running more carbon help?

• SRC Member

yah me too.... bro do you have a chiller?

my tank is kept at abt 26-27 hammers and other lps are doing fine....

no chiller ... to ex . cooler fans, but weather getting too hot for it to cope -.- ...

Reminds me of my Euphyllia garden. Some need more to do well, another need little to do well. =.= whatever website suggests can only be a guide, not applicable to all. Really have to hands on to see and adjust.

My thought on this case is temp + salinity. Increase to 8.2 and probably may be different? But if u see brown jelly, it's almost GG. Lost many lps to that despite treatment before putting in display.

no chiller ... to ex . cooler fans, but weather getting too hot for it to cope -.- ...

Do consider investing in one? In the long run if u wishes to keep corals, it's definitely more economical. One time cost, versus the cost of many dead corals..

• Like 1

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Member

Do consider investing in one? In the long run if u wishes to keep corals, it's definitely more economical. One time cost, versus the cost of many dead corals..

Planning to ... Looking to get a resun chiller mini .

Sir, I have wiped out several corals. Like you, I checked my water parameters and they looked alright. 29 is a bit on the high side but my chiller is set at 28.5. Here is our problem. We keep reading the general water parameters for saltwater tank and we did not go into the coral parameters! And I tried shifting the coral, programming the LED light, programming the Vortex wavemaker and I keep getting the same results. And it is disheartening. Until I stumbled on the following (which is MY FAULT for not learning about it earlier.)

You need three EXTRA parameters to keep corals - Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity. Yes there are test kits available and yes, you need to meet those parameters IN ADDITION to the usual parameters - Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp, no tap water etc.

My discovery sounds like a joke. Dont laugh. Out of desperation, I dropped my vitamin pill - Magnesium/Calcium into the tank and suddenly the corals just bloomed like a new lease of life. Then I realized I wasnt paying attention to these extra parameters. DO NOT follow my example. Just buy the additives and more importantly, READ UP on the coral section.

Trust me, you will feel much happier after this. All the best. AND speak to the seniors here who are very helpful. I did not ask for help which compounded my stupidity :-)

Good luck sir!

• SRC Member

Sir, I have wiped out several corals. Like you, I checked my water parameters and they looked alright. 29 is a bit on the high side but my chiller is set at 28.5. Here is our problem. We keep reading the general water parameters for saltwater tank and we did not go into the coral parameters! And I tried shifting the coral, programming the LED light, programming the Vortex wavemaker and I keep getting the same results. And it is disheartening. Until I stumbled on the following (which is MY FAULT for not learning about it earlier.)

You need three EXTRA parameters to keep corals - Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity. Yes there are test kits available and yes, you need to meet those parameters IN ADDITION to the usual parameters - Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH, temp, no tap water etc.

My discovery sounds like a joke. Dont laugh. Out of desperation, I dropped my vitamin pill - Magnesium/Calcium into the tank and suddenly the corals just bloomed like a new lease of life. Then I realized I wasnt paying attention to these extra parameters. DO NOT follow my example. Just buy the additives and more importantly, READ UP on the coral section.

Trust me, you will feel much happier after this. All the best. AND speak to the seniors here who are very helpful. I did not ask for help which compounded my stupidity :-)

Good luck sir!

Very insightful, will get those test kits to see if there is anything I can do. :thumbsup:

Thanks >:)