Medication safe around corals?

• SRC Member

Hey I think my fishes are coming down with white spot. But I don't really have a Quarantine tank, so I will have to mix my medication in the main tank that has corals (anemone, mushrooms, polyps, seacub, fan corals, brain). Does anyone know of a brand that is safe for corals?

• Moderators

Just a note, most of the reef safe medication effectiveness generally in the early stage of infection.

Once you start to see wide spread, the best option is to remove the fishes from main tank and treat them separately.

All the best.

Tom

• SRC Member

Polyp Lab Medic has mixed reviews. I've used it several times before, and based on online research, it seems that the base dosage is insufficient. You will need to dose at least 3 times the recommended dosage for 20 days. I've had it work a couple of times and not work a couple of times. Most of the times corals are ok, but I've also had some LPS react badly to it (a hammer and torch bleached and eventually died) while other corals in the tank remained ok. If your fish are still eating, go with Dr G anti parasite. if not, you should invest in a cheap plastic tank to treat your fish separately. I've learnt the hard way that it's easier to just quarantine all your fish before they go into the main tank than to have a white spot outbreak down the road.