Marine Tank Competition...

• SRC Member

Good news for all SG reefers! Aquarama 2005 is planning to have a Marine Tank Competition. This has been announced in their latest press release (which is not on the website yet). Details are not available yet and will likely not be available till the fish competition organising committee sits to discuss the format of this and 2 other new competitions, the Planted Tank and InterGarden competitions.

I'm sure our big boss AT will update us on the details at the appropriate time but meanwhile, get those tanks spruced up for next yr - sounds like a long time away but you know how long it takes to get a really nice matured tank!

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member
If got nano tank section..pretty obvious who will win already..someone here with the word 'nano' in his nick. :lol:

Yah...seem tat all the winner can be easily predicted. And the biggest tank would go to...ahem.. :lol::evil: If only buying 4D, TOTO is so predictable too. :sick:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

just like dogs, once a champ, always a champ :lol::lol::lol:

gogogo AT B)B)

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Erhmm.... I don't know how they intend to do this because if its dealing with livestock on the spot and contestants are supposed to just aquascape a tank to be judged... errhhmm, I'm not entirely comfortable with that.

Every marine tank grows different and the beauty lies in how the corals and other inhabitants respond to the caregiver's skill and dedication.

If the contest is going to be run like... every contestant is given an empty tank, a bucket of sand, a box of rocks and a box of corals and fishes... and to aquascape... even the size, shape and amount of LRs given and the quality/size/shape of corals & sponges given will differ between contestants and that will affect the visual outcome... how do you judge fairly?

How are the water conditions going to be safe and stable for corals? We all know that coral display tanks look very sorry at the end of exhibitions and dieoffs happen in such display tanks. :(

If its a photo contest of our own tanks... well, that's a whole different story then! ;)

• 8 months later...
  • SRC Member

Yerp thats right...

I have some information that both the competition, planted and marine alike, will be like the one telecasted in Channel U on a particular sunday some time ago.

There will be stages where the more potential contestants will go have to go through and some of the main criteria includes:

- composition & layout :upsidedown:

- creativity and originality :idea:

- long term maintenance of the scaped tank ;)

- speed at which the tank is being scaped :sick:

- compatibility of the inhabitants which includes the flora and fauna in the freshwater section AND the corals, inverts, fishes etc in the maine section :snore:

- you have to explain the types of mechanical, chem, bio filtration chosen to maintain the tank and the reasons why :heh:

- bla bla bla and so on and on and on...

Seems like its not gona be an easy pushover competition after all..

and all these criteria its seems to me are part of the effort to attract more crowds.

i hope the event can cater as a gathering for all SRC's members though ~!~!~!

some rare corals will be flown in from germany i think, not too sure bout that..

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

are they serious? new tank setup, you bring LS, within 1 day of setting up they will judge how nice? doesn't sound like a sensible way of doing it. shouldn't they reward those that are carefully cultivated over time rather than thrown together in a day?? :blink:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
are they serious? new tank setup, you bring LS, within 1 day of setting up they will judge how nice? doesn't sound like a sensible way of doing it. shouldn't they reward those that are carefully cultivated over time rather than thrown together in a day??  :blink:

Unfortunately the organisers do not have the mentality as hobbist.

They just want a 'show tank' :whistle

• SRC Member

win lor. who in their right mind after spending so much on nice LS and rocks and corals will uproot everything and bring for a little exhibition like that. everything die after that how? prize money can pay for it all meh? dunno what these organisers are thinking. :erm:

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".