40g Long Naturally lit macro-algae tank

CKS

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, Komerider said:

Wow I've been wanting to get this effect in a portion of my sump where I do and overflow and grow pods. But I just keep getting algae and any marine plants in getting 'strangled' by these algae. I run an led light meant for plants. Any tips? Zero no3,2 27-28 degree reef tank.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

high flow rate!

The wavemaker is instrumental for the current status of my tank. I think they're just like corals too and high flow makes the slim or other lower form of algae harder to stick onto the macro.

Traceable NO3!

Cannot imagine NO3 near zero. The macros will start 'whitening' at near zero NO3. I have been dosing NO3 infact, but this is really an unique case

I am also running a sump with plant grow LED light of 18w on 24/7 cycle and the greens grow really well there

• SRC Member
high flow rate!
The wavemaker is instrumental for the current status of my tank. I think they're just like corals too and high flow makes the slim or other lower form of algae harder to stick onto the macro.

Traceable NO3!
Cannot imagine NO3 near zero. The macros will start 'whitening' at near zero NO3. I have been dosing NO3 infact, but this is really an unique case

I am also running a sump with plant grow LED light of 18w on 24/7 cycle and the greens grow really well there

24/7 as in they r on all the time or during daylight hours? I think ur flow rate tip is correct. My sump tank overflow is quite slow water doesn't really move.

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, Ref00 said:

Ur blue tang don't feast on e plants?

Oh yes they do! those greens dont stay for long in the display, i grow them in bulk in the sump just to feed the tang

• SRC Member
On 10/22/2017 at 10:43 PM, Komerider said:

Wow ok.. cos i only on my lights for 8 hours in my sump on the night cycle. Can't imagine 24/7.. cos it'll heat up the water even more against the chiller. :mellow:

Mine is only 18W LED, doesnt generate that much heat

On 10/22/2017 at 10:46 PM, tuajia said:

Looking good bro, the only algae I can grow successfully is hair algae hahahahahha emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png. Even my caulerpa will go sexual every now and then

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks bro :) Sometimes have to dose more for caulerpa to outgrow the hair algae. I'm not too sure how to get the formula right too. I'm dosing the following and the macros are outgrowing the pest algae :)

161029-171134-03.jpg

• SRC Member
43 minutes ago, CKS said:

Thanks bro :) Sometimes have to dose more for caulerpa to outgrow the hair algae. I'm not too sure how to get the formula right too. I'm dosing the following and the macros are outgrowing the pest algae :)

Ah I see, thats quite a combi. I only use iron and Flourish but not the rest. Will give it a try. Thanks for the tip!

• 2 months later...

Wow nice planted tank.

Any update?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
On 12/28/2017 at 10:10 AM, sherman said:

Wow nice planted tank.

Any update?

Ahh, the fishes are doing well, really well infact. They have also eaten all the green macros in the tank :( Luckily i keep spares in the refugium.

Lost lots of Ochtodes too due to failed experiment in gluing them to frag plug. Giving them a break now.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:26 AM, yuzz said:

Hi bro have a question to ask. My tank the brown algae too much . Keep on cleaning the tank and still the brown algae grow . How to prevent the brown algae growing in my tank.

Whats your PO4 and NO3 like? and what sort of filter system are you running?

• SRC Member

Happy New Year everyone!

Here is a quick status of the tank as of Jan 2018.

Lost lots of Ochtodes too due to failed experiment in 're-planting' them. Will continue the experiment again when they're in bigger mass. Lost all the greens too due to hungry fishes, these are planted only today and not expecting them to last. Fortunately, the backup greens  grow fast in the refugium.

180104-191243-03.jpg

180104-191017-03.jpg

180104-220004-02.jpg

180104-220320-05.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Interesting direction you’re going in with the planted tank bro. Kudos. Btw correct me if I’m wrong but don’t Ochtodes also take in calcium to grow? Something different from what we’re used to seeing surely; a planted marine tank is certainly rare. Mangroves are far more common. Helps that we can pretty much get these things from local shores too heh.

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, kakak99 said:

very nice Bro !!

btw where you collect you algae? can get some algae from you?

I have a filefish too..  but WTG anyone in future when other things stable

Oh yes the Filefish are really helpful especially to keep the aiptasia population in check.

Gotten the Ochtodes from MarineLife about 2 years ago. And yep they're available for sale, i've posted on 'buy and sell' recently. Do PM me for more details :)

9 hours ago, soggycookies said:

Interesting direction you’re going in with the planted tank bro. Kudos. Btw correct me if I’m wrong but don’t Ochtodes also take in calcium to grow? Something different from what we’re used to seeing surely; a planted marine tank is certainly rare. Mangroves are far more common. Helps that we can pretty much get these things from local shores too heh.

hmm.. not that i remember. I'm not dosing nor measuring calcium neither. Still dosing the same chemical as shown below. Oh yes Mangroves can be beautiful too if the roots are used as display/shelter for fishes :)

On 10/23/2017 at 11:07 PM, CKS said:

Mine is only 18W LED, doesnt generate that much heat

161029-171134-03.jpg

• SRC Member
17 minutes ago, Killerwhale said:

Cool. So u measure the salinity daily?

nope, thats crazy! this is a fuss-free setup B)

I take NO3 reading more than salinity though, just to make sure the NO3 are measurable, it dips below 0-ppm too fast even when im overfeeding, and the macros wont be happy.