New to marine fish.

• SRC Member

Very interesting setup. That's how our journey always started initial. Once you grasp the technical know-how you be upgrading soon. I have upgraded 4 time during this journey. You be falling in love with Angels and Tangs very soon. Cheers and have lots of fun

• SRC Member

I myself am using a DIY skimmer made up of 2 mineral water bottles, but i never saw anyone make a mini refugium using a breeder box! Very cool! :thumbsup:

Could you kindly share what's the exact setup of the breeder box? I can't really tell from the pics. I'm assuming you just have a pump taking in water from the tank, flowing through the fuge and then overflowing back into the tank?

I myself am using a DIY skimmer made up of 2 mineral water bottles, but i never saw anyone make a mini refugium using a breeder box! Very cool!

Could you kindly share what's the exact setup of the breeder box? I can't really tell from the pics. I'm assuming you just have a pump taking in water from the tank, flowing through the fuge and then overflowing back into the tank?

Yes, i using a small pump to taking water flow in to refugium.

Wow.. less than a dollar skimmer where to find. How's the performance? Manage to skim out anything?

Cheap = no good.

If compare with actual skimmer.

Performance still ok for small tank.

Must always monitoring the bubble and water level to make sure it can push the dirt to collection bottel and not over push.

• SRC Member

Cheap = no good.

If compare with actual skimmer.

Performance still ok for small tank.

Must always monitoring the bubble and water level to make sure it can push the dirt to collection bottel and not over push.

Hahaha of course! I'm just cheapskate. But I already ordered some cheapo china brand skimmer online, lets see if its better or even worse. I will probably eventually get a proper skimmer in future

For fellow cheapos, here's the link to the forum where I learnt how to make the DIY skimmer :D

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195533

• SRC Member

Yes, i using a small pump to taking water flow in to refugium.

Brilliant idea and I love the pics, really explains everything clearly! Thanks, this is very informative :thumbsup:

Hahaha of course! I'm just cheapskate. But I already ordered some cheapo china brand skimmer online, lets see if its better or even worse. I will probably eventually get a proper skimmer in future

For fellow cheapos, here's the link to the forum where I learnt how to make the DIY skimmer :D

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195533

Yes, this one same as mine.

I jusy use a slim and longer bottle plus i double up the air diffuser

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...