My Slice of Nature (Part 2)

SubzeroLT

On 12/31/2015 at 9:48 AM, SubzeroLT said:

Even though my tank is small & it goes through less water than most others, I'm changing the 3 carbon/sediment filters of the RODI unit once a year. Its about $24+ for the set of 3 at Madpetz, which is not that bad.  

This is after around 2500-3000L of clean water out of the unit. 

PC300843.jpg

Its been about a month with the new Hydra HD 26 (Product review here : http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/139052-ai-hydra-26-hd/)

Some of the frags are starting to color up.

Previously all green milli starting to show colors. Its supposed to be a red milli. Long way to go....

PC310911.jpg

Red monti growing faster :

PC310907.jpg

Valida

PC310902.jpg

Tabling acro started to show its purple tips

PC310875.jpg

Some recent addition :

From the last SA shipment. Not able to hold the light pink colors though.

PC310873.jpg

Green Goblin

PC310870.jpg

Some kind of pocci 

PC310851.jpg

The pink acro from SA is a very nice piece. Too bad I hv lost mine due to bad water condition in my tank.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter

The pink acro from SA is a very nice piece. Too bad I hv lost mine due to bad water condition in my tank.

Sorry for your loss.

I also wanted to say thank you for graciously letting me have the bigger colony back then. This helped as i was sharing it with several others.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Sorry for your loss.

I also wanted to say thank you for graciously letting me have the bigger colony back then. This helped as i was sharing it with several others.

No worries, bro. It's a nice piece and it will be a challenge to keep its pastel pink body and blue tips coloration.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• SRC Member

No worries, bro. It's a nice piece and it will be a challenge to keep its pastel pink body and blue tips coloration.

hmmm... the pink sps you mentioned sounds like one i have as well... was told that the blue tips would come after a while, so far mine did not have any blue tips, but there is a small patch which has turned blue, i placed mine very near the return pipe, so it has very high light and flow, so far, pink has been much better.

hmmm... the pink sps you mentioned sounds like one i have as well... was told that the blue tips would come after a while, so far mine did not have any blue tips, but there is a small patch which has turned blue, i placed mine very near the return pipe, so it has very high light and flow, so far, pink has been much better.

Not very sure if it's the same. Was told by Steven of SA that it's a Bali ssc type of sps. It look something like this...

image.thumb.jpeg.7b365f890a991b9fe897e4e

Edited by Admiraltian

• SRC Supporter
On 1/1/2016 at 1:47 AM, true percula said:

Mine is under moderately strong flow with the MP40 quite near it. Its currently running under about ~500 PAR lighting. Hope to see the blue tips soon.

The 'lashes' on the blenny is interesting  :

P1010986.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Quick sharing of additives/gadgets. 

1) Selcon -

P1131015.jpg

- Very often new fishes do not take to pellet food or frozen mysis immediately & only feed on live food. One of the few live alternatives is live brine shrimps. However, they are supposedly not very nutritious. First saw this product introduced on Vivid Aquarium videos. I've been using Selcon (contains omega3 fatty acids & vitamins) the past year with good success of keeping newly added finicky eaters alive long enough for them to transition to frozen mysis or pellets.

- Just add a few drops to some brine shrimps. Let them consume it for about 15 minutes prior to feeding to your tank. 

2) Pure Aquatic Sea Feeder - a very long feeder for corals

P1151071.jpg

P1151075.jpg

- Very well built. Extends from almost 21" to almost 3ft long 

- Opening on the tip is about 1mm. Suitable for target feeding coral food (eg. reef roids) or dropping small pellets during pellet training. Hole is not large enough for frozen mysis.

- The pointed tip is supposedly for putting bits of meat for feeding anemones

3) Holder for Ecotech Vortech wavemaker driver

P1151088.jpg

- Had a bad experience of the velcro / double sided tape losing adhesion & the driver almost dropping into the sump

- This holder should resolve it

4) Nyos test kits

P1151091.jpg

- Watched some good video reviews on how well built the Nyos skimmers are. Supposedly a good brand from Germany. Trying out the test kits.

• SRC Supporter

Some progress pics :

Dec 26th 2015

PC260806.jpg

Jan 15th 2016. Colored up quite nicely. Thanks Alston for this nice frag

P1151059_1.jpg

---------------

Dec 30th 2015

PC310867.jpg

Jan 15th 2016

P1151058.jpg

Tips & green starting to show up. Hope my tank conditions can color up similar to that seen on Larry's impressive colony. A long way to go. Thanks for the frag.

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

Wow! Your close up pic of of the frag really shows off its magnificent colors! What acro is this?

Thanks.. but i'm not sure what they are called.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Full tank shot for Jan 2016

P1311317.jpg

Other updates :

The elegance coral was quite large. It blocked flow which left detritus stuck around it. I made a small acrylic platform to lift it off the sand bed a little to allow some flow underneath it.

P1241161_1.jpg

Hosting a coral frag for a fellow reefer. Not sure of its ID

P1311270.jpg

Duncan feeding on market prawn

P1311254.jpg

Yuma having a slice as well

P1311229.jpg

Frag from Larry

P1311246.jpg

Green goblin. 

P1311235.jpg

Blondie

P1311284.jpg

- I'm told that zoas won't grow on coralline. Need to scrape it off for it to cover the entire frag plug

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Borrowed a colleagues' Olympus TG4.... some pics :

Chilli Pepper Monti 

P2130674.jpg

Blondies 

P2130616.jpg

Forest Fire.....growing but losing its green tips.

P2130579.jpg

Yuma (from SA)

P2130304.jpg

Teardrop Maxima

P2130326.jpg

Bali shortcake from SA. Its more purple than pink now due to high nutrients

P2130208.jpg

SSC frag. From recent LCK shipment

P2130189.jpg

Blue Monti

P2130572.jpg

Torch Garden. Still looking for nice torches

P2130472.jpg

Anemone split a weeks back

P2130354.jpg

Got a frag of Bali Slimer on the right. Looks different from what i've seen in pictures though.

P2130292.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

New addition from Pacific Reef :

P3010271.jpg

Recently, someone asked me if i dosed amino acids. Tried a couple of various brands along the way.

These are the 2 products that i've been using for the longest time. Got the polyp booster (contains amino acids & fatty acids) back when Madpetz was having the moving out sale from their previous Sin Min location. I dose a small amount of the polypbooster in high flow. After about a minute, turn off the pump then target feed with reef roids. Fed about 2x a week.

P3011460.jpg

Some other progress pics :

Badabing frag :

P3010238.jpg

P3010257.jpg

Frag from Jonathan a couple of weeks back (Thanks :P)

P2130219_1.jpg

Slightly better color. Still some ways to go :

P3010340.jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter

Wow! The purple is so intense!! Sweet!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

Think the coloration is probably due to high nitrates the past weeks for 2 reasons

1) Skimmer wasn't running properly & not able to skim anything out. Nitrates creeped up to about 5ppm

2) I've also stopped the sulfur reactor as it was pulling the pH down to around 7.7pH. I'm now relying on Microbacter7 + Biofuel at the moment.

Edited by SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

This brightwell combo if dose regularly is good enough if u don't overfeed. But I see you dose booster & reef roids too, so I think the dosage for high nutrients tank should serve u better.

Funny, recently I've been thinking about that as well. Higher nutrients contributes to that solid intense colouration in a way. But there must be a balance as well though. Too much mean brownies. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!