Need advice on zoas..... & amphipods

JMW

• SRC Member

Hi reefers, for those of you who keep zoas, have you guys ever experienced them being eaten/injured by amphipods? At night when I bring a light to the tank, I see the pods running around the LR, but I do also notice some of them on the zoas....

Did some googling too, mixed responses. Some say the pods are just eating microfilms of algae, detritus on the zoas surface, some say the pods can indeed eat the zoas polyps or baby zoas..

so am really hoping to get some local perspective here, do you guys have any zoas & amphipods encounters to share? 

Thanks in advance!

• SRC Supporter

My personal experience is they do nip on the zoas especially during the night. I loss a few unhealthy zoas which maybe due to this but those healthy one seems to be doing well and still growing.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Thanks Harlequinmania, well I guess if what they are really doing is pick off unhealthy zoas then that's not so bad, versus leaving them to languish.

just really hope they are not harming the healthy ones or new baby zoas.

Hope I don't need to get rid of them as I don't have space to add a six line or mandarin so natural predation is an option I can't use.