Finding "Sea Hum"

Neutral

• SRC Member

Is clam a must in a marine set up? Is it meant for a reef tank (a must have decoration?) or more towards a FOWLR tank? Maybe I would also ask, what other purpose beside decoration can this bottom beauty can add to our marine setup. 

Recently I just acquired some big and nice clam in my FOWLR setup. To my surprise, it does improved my water condition as a form of a natural filter to my tank..

• SRC Member

So what big clams did i acquired? I will let the pictures do the talking. I bought as Maxima clams. Even after reading through some articles on differentiating the difference type of clam.. i still have no clue.. unless i checked the clam's byssal (the ass) than I may know.. but the most important thing is I love them.. :D

IMG-20151020-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20151020-WA0018.jpeg

• SRC Member

Btw.. my setup is a FOWLR :P.. I am mainly keeping some dwaf angels as well as a blue face angel. So far no nipping on my clams yet.. well I am keeping my finger cross.. my guess is so long as our fishes are well fed.. chances and risk of them nipping our corals will be reduced. 

Edited by Neutral

• SRC Member

Hi Neutral, can share how you noticed that the clams improved your water quality? You verified by testing for nitrates & phosphates?

I'm interested in their effectiveness as natural filters

• SRC Member

Hi Neutral, can share how you noticed that the clams improved your water quality? You verified by testing for nitrates & phosphates?

I'm interested in their effectiveness as natural filters

i jus took a 2 days reading.. 

20/10/2015

CA : 420ppm, KH : 10, PO4 : 5 and N03 : 20

21/10/2015

CA : 400ppm, KH : 9, P04 : 4 and N03 : 15

Disclaimer... I have off my skimmer and no feeding of any coral food during this 2 before taking the readings.

i am still experimenting. Like wise.. I am new as well..  Still need to learn alot from all seniors here.

• SRC Member

Interesting! But according to the video... how many class do you need to really have an impact in your water quality?

i would like to find out more too.. If really like what the video shows.. I would wana rear oystal.. ... Can filled feed us too.. Lolx

• SRC Member

i jus took a 2 days reading.. 

20/10/2015

CA : 420ppm, KH : 10, PO4 : 5 and N03 : 20

21/10/2015

CA : 400ppm, KH : 9, P04 : 4 and N03 : 15

Disclaimer... I have off my skimmer and no feeding of any coral food during this 2 before taking the readings.

i am still experimenting. Like wise.. I am new as well..  Still need to learn alot from all seniors here.

hmmmm interesting! there's noticeable effect on the nitrate & phosphate levels, could be the BB at work too? I don't know if it makes sense to dose coral food, monitor the levels then, & then one day later... That can also tell how much they are cleaning your water? Will that work?

otherwise is just monitor for more days with no skimmer & food to see if they can reduce the levels even further..

Bro your clams are your tank's natural skimmer