Cost to run Chiller

DottyClown

• SRC Member

Has any reefer monitored their running cost (electricity cost), before and after installing a Chiller?

In particular, I'm looking at the Hailea HS28A 1/10hp on 18G tank.

Currently using a SUNON fan and can cool down to 27 Deg C  (can be 29DegC on a hot day), but fan is on for 24hrs everyday.

If I were to switch to a Chiller, then I would also need to get a pump.  So even if the Chiller kicks in for only 15mins every hour, the Pump will still be running non-stop 24hrs everyday.

So, trying to estimate the running cost difference between Fan and Chiller+Pump.

Any feedback is welcomed.  Tks.

• SRC Member

What type filter system u using if your tank less then 80 l use 28a should be ok with 25dollar +- my 70l tank I use 300a cut in every 50min and run for 10min cut off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is an IOS tank and yes, it is less that 80l.

So typically, a HS28A will cost $25+/- to run a per month?

• SRC Member

No, filter is not Hang On Back.  The tank is with IOS = Internal Overflow Sump.

That means the sump is part of the tank.  It consists of a few compartments, usually located at the back of the tank itself.  The 1st compartment is where the tank water overflows into the sump, and this is usually where the mechanical filters are located.  Skimmer can be located in the next compartment.  And the last compartment is where the Return Pump is located.

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member

Can I know where did you get the HS28 and the price of it?

have been using the HC100a for few years

at first was quite concerned about the electrical cost ... how long it runs and how often it kicks in

but over time can't be bothered and electrical bill din really shoot up

did not really track the bill different, but if you don't feel pain means is ok

• SRC Member

If you want to be successful in keeping corals, better to use chiller than fan. The cost of other aspects of reefkeeping outweigh the increase in energy cost. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

• SRC Member

If you are using an ios tank there will be a pump in the ios so what you can do is connect the pump in the ios to the chiller then connect a pipe to the outlet of the chiller to the main tank

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
10 hours ago, finind said:

Can I know where did you get the HS28 and the price of it?

have been using the HC100a for few years

at first was quite concerned about the electrical cost ... how long it runs and how often it kicks in

but over time can't be bothered and electrical bill din really shoot up

did not really track the bill different, but if you don't feel pain means is ok

Wouldn't the runtime of a chiller & how often it kicks in depend on the temperature that you have set it to? ie. If you set it to a lower temp, the chiller would be running longer & more often compared to if you were to set it to a degree or two higher.

unless such a setup requires a separate temp controller to switch on/off the chiller