Coral dips - Polyp Lab Reef Primer

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

For the past year, I’ve been using coral dips that smells like pine cleanser. Some work great. Some are known to be more diluted & work so-so (i.e. does not remove all pests effectively). Many are not effective against flatworms.

A senior reefer recommended potassium based cleaners. I tried to DIY some with potassium chloride powder but wasn't exactly sure of the dosage. 

Just sharing something I tried recently & was pretty impressed with it. This product is supposed be formulated of Potassium + other salts.

Potassium based cleaners work great

•  Very effective against worms, crabs, brittlestarfish or the dreaded zoa eating nudibranch and Acro Eating FlatWorm.
  • One nice thing with potassium based dips - there is no need to rinse after dipping. Just place the coral straight into the display tank (free dosing of much needed potassium).

• Potassium dips are supposed to be less harsh on corals compared to insecticides but yet effective against pests. 

• With cleaner or insecticide based coral dips, one normally need to use 1 – 2 additional containers of tank water to ensure the dip is washed. We don’t want any of cleaning chemical/insecticide in the display tank.

Used it on a couple of SPS colonies & LPS so far. Corals opened up again after a few hours. 

Very potent compared to what I've used before. Its not cheap but figured a bottle should last a long time.

P1171130.jpg

After 3 minutes. 

P1171137.jpg

Flatworm?

C12C5362-9ABC-495A-AEB5-8B9B9598AC11.jpg

Instructions call for 45g (8 caps) per 4 litres of water.

Graphically, it says:

-          - Take 4L of tank water. Place into a 5L container

-         -  Add 45g of Reef Primter intl the 5L container. Dissolve powder

-          - Dip your corals for max of 5 minutes. Agitate the water. (I use a pipette or turkey baster)

-          - Put the coral directly into the tank. No need to rinse

P1171138.jpg

• Like 2

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

This is one of the more gentle coral dip I have tried so far as well, and is safe to overdose it. To be sure all pests are detach from the corals, you can use either a small wave maler or blower to blow the coral as well during the dipping process.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

Great info. Thanks.

May I know how much this coral dip cause?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not sure if its allowed to share prices openly so i'll just mention indicative prices.

Mod, please edit accordingly. In any case, 

The big bottle shown in the pic is $50+.

There is a smaller bottle. I recall its about $20+

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/