Phosphate and Nitrate relationship

• SRC Member

Recently, due to poor husbandry, I had a bloom of Turf Algae.  Phosphate was 1-2 while Nitrate was a staggering 100+.

Now Phosphate has been brought down to undetectable (at least on my API test kit), but Nitrate still hovers at 40.  Turf Algae growth stopped/slowed-down, but still there.

The Nitrate level quite stubborn and just won't drop.  I read that we actually need some Phosphate, in order for the bacteria to reduce the Nitrate.  Is this correct?  If so, does that mean I need to remove my RowaPhos and allow Phosphate to increase?

Currently using RowaPhos, Purigen and a little remaining Biosphere for chemical filtration.

Could anyone offer some advice, thanks.

• SRC Member

Biologically, nitrates and phosphates are used up in accordance with the Redfield ratio. That is, carbon: nitrogen: phosphorous, 106:16:1 ratio. So having zero phosphates would indeed make it harder for bacteria to reduce nitrate. However, it is usually the case that zero nitrates detected on test kits merely indicate that the levels are low, rather than phosphates actually being completely absent. The biological process should still be occur.

That being said, since this form of reduction of nitrates and phosphates occurs biologically, it should not affect the ability of purigen in removing nitrates.

• SRC Member

I am currently experiencing this issue. Undetectable PO4 and NO3 forever at 25ppm. I have since stopped my FR with Rowasphos and hope the PO4 can up abit.

Now dosing with vinegar and doing regular water change and monitoring the situation.

Biologically, nitrates and phosphates are used up in accordance with the Redfield ratio. That is, carbon: nitrogen: phosphorous, 106:16:1 ratio. So having zero phosphates would indeed make it harder for bacteria to reduce nitrate. However, it is usually the case that zero nitrates detected on test kits merely indicate that the levels are low, rather than phosphates actually being completely absent. The biological process should still be occur.

That being said, since this form of reduction of nitrates and phosphates occurs biologically, it should not affect the ability of purigen in removing nitrates.

purigen does not remove nitrate. It absorbs some form of dissolved organic. If these form of dissolved organic were to break bacteria, nitrate would increase. That is why the label states it help to CONTROL ammonia, niitrite and nitrate.

• Like 1

What bro pcw mention is correct. Redfield ratio. Since u do not have sufficient po4 for bacterials to use I would suggest u remove your po4 removal. Alternatively u can consider adding no3 removal to help speed up the process. Personally I would suggest u remove po4 removal for the time being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
  • SRC Member
I am currently experiencing this issue. Undetectable PO4 and NO3 forever at 25ppm. I have since stopped my FR with Rowasphos and hope the PO4 can up abit.

Now dosing with vinegar and doing regular water change and monitoring the situation.

Sorry to bring this back up. did dosing vinegar help in bringing down NO3 despite having undetectable reading on PO4?

• 4 months later...

Vinegar dosing will reduce your NO3 but its good to have a little PO4 

• Like 1

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

It's good to realize that the food you feed has very large amounts of nutrients N and P. So when you feed, you are resetting the N and P ratio. Therefore, usually, there is no need to focus on the ratio.

Just make sure yr PO4 is not zero. Anything less then 0.08 is ok

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016