Power failure contingency - Ecotech battery backup, iSocket

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

In the past month, I've heard of at least 2 reefers suffering losses to corals due to power trip. Personally, had a bad experience several months back.

Some have the Apex Neptune but when the whole house trips, it won't be able to trigger alerts since the home router/wifi will also be off. Web Cams will be useless as well.

Just sharing 2 equipment which I think are good contingencies to have. Some may think its an unnecessary expense but for those of us have suffered through a power trip before, this will be money well spent. 

1) Ecotech Battery Backup (http://ecotechmarine.com/products/battery-backup)

Keeping the water moving is critical. Without it, corals can die within a couple of hours because of lack of oxygen due to no still water. Also, as long as there is some water surface agitation, there will continue to be air exchange with the atmosphere. 

When the main power is cut, the Ecotech batter takes over powering the wavemaker. I was curious about how long the battery could last & decided to clock it recently.

For my system (1x MP40, 1x MP10), it lasted about 55hrs. That's 2 days plus.:D At least this gives some peace of mind especially & sufficient time to come home from work to turn the power back on. Some pics :

Battery mounted on a small cabinet next to the tank. It has 2 output cables hooked to 2 Vortech wavemakers

P2231445.jpg

When the battery takes over, the LED indicates the amount of power left. Right most = 100%.

This photo was taken after 24hrs

IMG_5947.jpg

After 36hrs, 

IMG_5950.jpg

Setting for MP40. Running ~ 60%

MP40.jpg

Setting for MP10. Running ~ 40%

MP10.jpg

2) iSocket - (https://www.isocketworld.com/en/all-isocket-products/) 

P2231440.jpg

This is another important equipment. I got mine from the above website. 

- Plugged into an electrical socket / extension plug

- Has an internal rechargeable battery. 

- Has a SIM card which then sends you an SMS when it detects power outage. In my case, i have an MobileShare SIM card which i got free with my Singtel contract. Else some folks use pre-paid SIM cards.

Configuration is quite simple. From your own phone, just send a command "MakeMeBoss" to the number of the SIM card. Then all future alerts go to your mobile phone.

IMG_5917.jpg

There are temperature sensor, smoke detector & leak detector sensor attachments available as well.

With the SMS trigger & backup power source to keep the wavemaker going for a while, I think it gives us sufficient reaction time to rush home to restore power.

Edited by SubzeroLT

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

i using a 1200watt UPS link to all equipment except lighting.

much cheaper than ecotech

What model ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Supporter

i using a 1200watt UPS link to all equipment except lighting.

much cheaper than ecotech

Agree.....A UPS is a good alternative.

Note that most UPS generate either square waveform or modified squarewaves. So far, i know only of the APC Smart UPS that can generate a pure sine wave but those UPS cost more than $600 for a small one.

AC pumps will not run properly with the square or modified waveform. It will in fact damage the motor. Should be OK for DC motors/pumps.

• SRC Member

Have you tested to see how long does it last? Most UPS are meant to just run for a short amount of time to allow users to save or backup their data in event of power outage. The link mentioned that it can power cpu for an hour?

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• SRC Supporter

This is a very helpful for newbie as well as season reefer how we can protect our investment inside our tank. At time, we have spend hundreds of thousand of dollars on live stocks and equipment but neglect about power backup or some form of contingency plan . I too suffer a tank crush before the CNY for my frag tank where the power trip due to a faulty equipment from china, very painful lesson learn when i loss all my collection of frags over the years. I did has a Mobeye SMS notification in place but since it only trip one section of the room, it did not trigger the alarm. 

Now i bought a second unit of the SMS notification alert for that section together with a additional Apex power bar hopefully in the event of another power failure in that section of the room, the apex will still be able to send out power failure alert email to me. 

• SRC Supporter

Another possibility setup of a simple back up could be the use of the battery backup air pump similar to the photo which could either connect to Apex or other aquarium computer to trigger it upon a power failure. 

battery airpump.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Yeah. Purchase from http://www.isocket.eu

If you just want to monitor power, get the PowerWatch model (S$137+)

If you want to add features such as smoke or water alarm, get the Environment Pro (S$169+)

Remember to select "British Plug" type for Singapore use.

Shipping is S$29 (via FedEx). But is free if you spend more than $185. So either get some additional sensor accessory or group buy with a buddy if you want to avoid shipping cost. Takes about 5 days to arrive.

http://www.isocket.eu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

If one of the power unit fail, will the apex still be able to send email notification without UPS connected ?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

No it wouldnt be able to send any email notification unless there is a power source during the power failure 

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Have you tested to see how long does it last? Most UPS are meant to just run for a short amount of time to allow users to save or backup their data in event of power outage. The link mentioned that it can power cpu for an hour?

Not sure how Long it would last. But I'm plugging in just the return pump.

Should be able to last >1hr

• 9 months later...
  • SRC Supporter

Come April 2017, the telcos in Singapore will be turning off the 2G network.

This means that the older generation of iSocket GSM wont wok anymore. In fact, from Nov 2016, M1 stopped 2G support for newly activated pre-paid SIM cards. Any has  workaround suggestions? Else, its time to give the iSocket GSM to our Malaysia reefing buddies.

• SRC Supporter
On 2/26/2016 at 2:00 PM, he said:

A interesting slide for those using apex 

Slides_from_Apex_Power_Monitoring_and_Management_presentation.pdf

Apparently Apex Fusion has enabled a new feature recently called "HeartBeat". 

Basically, it'll send a notification if the cloud detects the Apex is disconnection for 'a period of time'. I tested it and it send me a mobile phone & email notification after 35 minutes.

Its a slight delay but at least its better than no notification at all.

HeatBeat is turned off by default. Need to enable it.

Heartbeat.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Those that send email alert also using 2G?

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016