Need help in adding new corals in the tank

profsheepy

• SRC Member

Well, depends on what you like and your lighting type and schedule. Looks like you started with soft corals, which is a good step as they tend to be hardy and have less care requirements. I would say go for more soft corals like gsp, other mushrooms, zoas and maybe finger leathers. But do take note that leather corals and zoas are toxic, so be careful not to injure them or they will release toxins into the water and potentially kill other livestock. That huge toadstool of yours can be quite deadly

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

No problem, I'm also a newbie haha. If you're suspecting toxin in the water you can use activated carbon to absorb some of it. Most poisoning happens when reefers frag leathers by cutting pieces of it off. That's the sure way to bleed toxin into the water. Also read stories of reefers who fragged zoas with open wounds on their hands and ended up almost dying from palytoxin poisoning. Anyway you can just Google for beginner corals, they usually recommend soft corals and some LPS. But once you go for any stony corals, you have to start looking out for calcium and alkalinity levels, which can be tough for a newbie. I'm still learning too, ended up killing some of my LPS already lol

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

That looks like an IM tank.

You can add cloves too. Golden cloves are very nice and good beginner corals.
Actually favia and acans are pretty hardy too but acans are expensive. If you do get favia, don't put it on the sandbed.

by the way from your picture, the rock where the mushroom is at the left, you might want to keep it an inch away from the glass.
It would make maintenance difficult in future.