How to catch elusive fish in tank

• SRC Member

This is the method I used for my damsel. First I waited till it was night and the tank has been in total darkness at least two hours. Then I turned on super bright lights and started knocking the rocks with a net to scare the damsel out. It rushed out but was very blur and couldn't focus and was easily scooped out with my net.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

That is one of the hardest fish to remove from your tank. The only way I did was to remove all the rocks and get him out. You can also try to catch him when your lights are out and remove the rock where he sleep. Other than that, it is really tough.

• Like 1

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

Step 1: insert the net inside the tank, try an area with no rock interference, turn off pumps so the net will not move (as it scares the fish)

Step 2: lower a piece of Nori, attached to a wire you can move around (can be other type of food)

Step 3: as the fish come, move the nori close to the net and grab the one you want

May take several tries, but worked for me several times..

Good luck.

• SRC Member

Wow alons that's interesting.

I just caught my clownfish last night with lights off and using a glass cup. It didn't know what hit it cause it couldn't see the glass.

The damsel will be tough though. Night time is the best I agree.

• SRC Member
On April 26, 2016 at 11:42 PM, alons said:

Try to Nori thing before buying traps, with a little bit of patience and practice, you'll get your fish..

Tried your method for the past 2 days but the damsel is damn smart and super fast

if i bring the noni too close to the net, he will not come close at all

• SRC Member

Just want to give an update. I caught my damsel at last. Bought a fish trap and lure the damsel into the trap with a piece of seaweed.  Caught it within the first try

• SRC Member
Just want to give an update. I caught my damsel at last. Bought a fish trap and lure the damsel into the trap with a piece of seaweed.  Caught it within the first try

Congrats bro. What trap design was it? Can share? Thanks