Advice on Lighting (changing from AI Vega to ati) and power consumption

nicreef

• SRC Member

Just got back into the hobby fully and am Thinking of changing from AI Vega to ati t5. 

My tank is a 4 x 2 x 1 shallow tank. would 8 tube 54 watt be sufficient or should i go higher or lower?

Also another concern is the power consumption.

Can i assume if 54 watt 8 tube would be equivilant to 432 watt per hour (estimated 12 hour per day full blast) = 432*12 = 5184. per month i am looking at 5184*31=160706 or 160.7kw. 

At current rate of electrical bill 160.7 * 0.195 = 31.34

For AI vega: 95 watt at full power according to their site.

95*12= 1140/day

1140*31= 35340/month or 35.34kw

35.34kw * 0.195= $6.89 per month

Would this be a correct way to estimate the monthly bill? 

• SRC Supporter

Yes, you are almost right in your calculation but not forgetting when you run LED, the rating given by the manufacturer is base upon running on full power 100% intensity for all color spectrum which mean during the dimming up or down period the power consumption of the led will be lesser depending on your light setting as well. The only way to be able to measure the exact electrical consumption for the LED is by the Watt meter . Whereas for T5 is just a straight forward On / OFF . 

you can also use the electrical calculator here ; http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/powerconsumption.htm 

• Like 1

• SRC Member
12 hours ago, he said:

Yes, you are almost right in your calculation but not forgetting when you run LED, the rating given by the manufacturer is base upon running on full power 100% intensity for all color spectrum which mean during the dimming up or down period the power consumption of the led will be lesser depending on your light setting as well. The only way to be able to measure the exact electrical consumption for the LED is by the Watt meter . Whereas for T5 is just a straight forward On / OFF . 

you can also use the electrical calculator here ; http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/powerconsumption.htm 

thanks. Looks like T5 is going to cost me more than i expected if i include the electrical bill :(

• SRC Supporter

I would say both types of lighting have its pro and cons.

Go for t5 if you want an idiot proof or easy to use lighting, you need not worry about what color spectrum / adjustment is good for your corals or worries if the lighting is not good enough for your corals ect.. but the heat from the light and tube change could be high over the long term.

Whereas for led, the upfront investment could be higher for a good set of lighting, but could possibly save on cheaper electric running costs through lower watt , cooler and no need to change tubes.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app