Polyplab Medic

Hi Fellow Reefers,

Can Polyplab Medic kill corals? I tried to use this product since I saw some white spots on one of my fish in my DT. To avoid outbreak, I dosed with Pl Medic. After 2 days, I notice that my open brain Coral started to bleech. I immediately stop the dosing and also the white spot is no longer visible. Can Medic cause my brain to bleech? Other corals also look stressed. Shall continue the dosing since the product directions says that I have to dose for 10 days?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I've had it bleach my LPS before.  I think it' caused by improper mixing and some concentrated portion of water hits the LPS, causing it to bleach.  I also dosed at 3x recommended dosage in a nano.  To prevent this perhaps try to mix the powder in tank water first and pour it into the sump area instead of directly into the tank.

That being said, it only happened to me once.  90% of the time it's ok.

• SRC Supporter

Personal experience for me with this product yes it will work but during the initial stages of the ich cycle.

If the ich already get into the grille of the fish, then might be too late. Copper would be the only last resort.

White spots came back after a few days. This time round seems like the medic is no longer effective. Increased the dosage to 3x but still not working. My fishes starts to die. Increased the dosage again to 4x the recommended. But still the same. Currently still observing the behaviour of my remaining fishes.

• SRC Member

My experience is to use 3x from the start straight away and monitor if any fish having stress.  Even after I dosed per instruction, some ich may still not be entirely removed, but it certainly improved the survival of my fishes.  Lost a few fishes initially as I was undecided which method to use.   This product did helped me stop further fatality.

White spots came back after a few days. This time round seems like the medic is no longer effective. Increased the dosage to 3x but still not working. My fishes starts to die. Increased the dosage again to 4x the recommended. But still the same. Currently still observing the behaviour of my remaining fishes.

Suggest u read up on medic at which stage of ich lifecycle it does best does so that u can observe and make it work to its best for u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

It has worked for me, but you need to be very stringent in your dosing.  Use 3x the recommended dosage for each dose and you must dose once at 10am and once at 10pm religously for 21 days.  Any less than 21 days and you might as well don't dose - as mentioned by patrick, a simple understanding of the ich life cycle and you will understand why.  Based on recent "kiasu" practices in overseas reef forums, they will even recommend up to 28 days (i.e. same amount of time as copper treatment).  Basically except for Chloroquine Phosphate, every other ich cure needs the 21-28 day treatment period to ensure you eradicate the parasite.  This one just allows you to do it in the DT instead of QT.

Yes 2 times a day. Take note that time u need to dose is equally important. There's a logic behind why it must be dose at X am and X pm. So pls do consider a 21day plan where u can dose at that specific time in morning and night that u choose. Pls also remember to dose into sump(filter socks/filter wool) and not display tank so that no undissolved medic particles go into main and come in direct contact with corals.

1 hour difference should be ok. But I'm assuming this. Didn't try before so I can't be sure.
Usually I dosing into my overflow box so that it will stay within the filter sock till dissolved. After the filter sock compartment is skimmer. I did not off my skimmer. But to dose directly at skimmer area I'm not sure if it will affect medic efficiency.
I do my wc as per normal. Of course don't dose and then immediately do wc