Why lock a thread and give funny reason?

arcanehacker

• SRC Member

I'm not complaining or anything but please give a good reason for this thread:

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...=0entry171793

Quote: "Try not to start a chat thread, especially on a topic which is redundant since LFS information have been provided (Courtesy of odi).

This thread is locked and will be deleted.

For your compliance

- the Mods "

Esp on a topic which is redundant? I started a topic first before odi start another thread to help me on the address. So why do you say I have a redundant thread when the odi's thread wasn't create then?

Try not to start a chat thread? No I didn't.. I just started a query and its inevitable that threads go off topic someway or another.

Anyway I dun mind you lock it since I already gotten my answer but please give a valid resaon next time.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

And a point to note, even we are given an address, we won't know by reading it, unless ppl go and type the direction, eg. where the bus will travel, where the bus will go pass, landmarks etc.. so i dun think in this sense it's consider starting to chat. And this is a forum, why be so tight about it? Forum is an open discussion. Peace to all, just my views.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

That would be me if you're wondering.

I admit that I may be unaware of the LFS information being posted after your query, but you should have asked the Mods first before bringing it to public.

Btw, you missed out the bit of about if whom is going and 'hehe'.

Chat? or constructive contribution?

• SRC Member
That would be me if you're wondering.

You missed out the bit of some of the discussions about if whom is going and 'hehe'. Chat? or constructive contribution?

Dun have to wonder.. I knew..

Is it wrong that somewhere in the line someone comes asking me whether I'm going? Since its related somehow to the question.

And is it wrong that I answer back a question thrown to me?

If its so wrong, then I can see a lot of existing threads that needs to be locked..

You could jolly well just put up a warning "Try not to start a chat thread" and I can stop chating and start a PM with whoever.

This:"..especially on a topic which is redundant since LFS information have been provided (Courtesy of odi)." isn't very valid as I've mentioned.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

You could jolly well just put up a warning "Try not to start a chat thread" and I can stop chating and start a PM with whoever.

This:"..especially on a topic which is redundant since LFS information have been provided (Courtesy of odi)." isn't very valid as I've mentioned.

I've already stated, I admit I may be unaware of that.

Its a little difficult to track every single event in the forum.

Btw, I take offense with that term I put in bold.

• SRC Member

I've already stated, I admit I may be unaware of that.

Its a little difficult to track every single event in the forum.

Btw, I take offense with that term I put in bold.

if those 2 words can be so offensive, I'm sorry. But please take note of the time and date of the threads before rebuking someone.

I'm aware that you mods can't keep track on every single but please put up a warning first next time. At least then I wouldn't need to start another thread and waste your precious space and people's time reading it. It defeats the purpose of locking a thread, would it?

BTW is no chatting under "The Golden Rules"? ;)

If I made a mistake, I will admit it, and I do not have to defend my actions.

It is a logical and unspoken rule, we're here to share ideas and experience, not chat, there are IRC channels which are better equipped to handle it, and without moderation.

Don't we all strive to make constructive posts, and keep senseless chatter to a minimal?

That is how we achieve Credibility.

• SRC Member
That was not directed at you, its for the general public knowledge.

Astroboi should have sent a PM instead of posting.

Yes, a lot of threads to lock and a lot of work to do.

Please refrain from adding to the list.

huh? im just merely asking him as i wasn't clear whether he need the address to post them a letter, or to go to tat place. This is not about chatting leh.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
If I made a mistake, I will admit it, and I do not have to defend my actions.

It is a logical and unspoken rule, we're here to share ideas and experience, not chat, there are IRC channels which are better equipped to handle it, and without moderation.

Don't we all strive to make constructive posts, and keep senseless chatter to a minimal?

That is how we achieve Credibility.

which still doesn't deem a threat to be locked..

maybe you SHOULD add it to the golden rules so as to save the mods a lot of future troubles like this.

Just by putting it as common sense doesn't deter anyone from doing it. That is why there is always stupid disclaimers in almost every product.. ever seen airline peanut packages which disclaimers states that the bag is not to be eaten? And we tot it was common sense too.

• SRC Member

Arcanehacker,

I don't understand what's all this fuss about a thread being locked. :erm:

Does it hurt you a lot when a thread of yours is closed? Your question posted has already been answered by odi anyway.

Perhaps Rumor may have been slightly harsh but I feel that the problem here has been blown out of proportion.

It's just a locked thread! Not slander, misinformation, scandal, etc. People usually, move on, unless they have other agendas. Do you? :fear:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Its locked due to my initial assessment that it was redundant, while the sequence of events was not noted.

The other is a generalisation of opinions.

There is a difference.

Disclaimers are not to protect you, it is to protect the entity.

So are rules and regulations, some just do not read or comply to it

Personal agenda aside, yes, arcanehacker, I will look into enhancing the Rules and Regulations to address this.

In any case, on the topic of Golden Rules, I would like to bring your attention to Pt. 7:

"7. Users may not argue a moderators decision publicly. Any and all complaints directed at a moderator must first address the moderator in question via PM. If the problem can not be resolved, then the moderator and user must send their positions to the forum admin. The forum admin will make or change any and/or all final decisions."

You are already in contravention of the Rules, and I have accomodated you by answering in this thread instead of through PMs.

I will not penalise you on that but it makes better sense for you to move on.

Alright guys, its just a minor issue here, most of it is just bad timing with some misunderstanding.

We recognise some subforums here (like the Kopitiam and LFS reports/LFS info centre and Club Outings) are suited for casual chatting and may not warrant heavy-handed moderation.

(These threads will be fated for the trashbin anyway when the time comes because they have become irrelevant due to them being time-limited/sensitive.)

There will be a lot of postings in general topics that warrant deletion as they are just idle chit chat or irrelevant postings at this particular time.

We intend to make an archive/knowledge base of all past threads where there's important, interesting and relevant info and REAL discussions on reefkeeping (that everyone can refer to for research)... we thus have to cut away all the off-topic posts like eg. "Wow, your powder blue tang looks really fat" in a thread discussing about water circulation.

You get the idea about how idle chit chat building up now will mean a lot of internet time later deleting them... and who has to do it... the admin and mods!!

I see this episode as part of daily housekeeping.

Please do be considerate and minimise idle chit chat as much as you can, although in this case, it may have been hasty for Rumor to close so it abruptly but he's just doing his job. No need to feel offended.

We'll take note of your feedback and discuss amongst ourselves the level of vigilance we need to apply vs the 'casualness' of the subforums/topics. In this case, please excuse us.

But in the meantime, we HAVE to do our job, so please co-operate and excuse such minor inconveniences and adhere to the 'Golden Rules' of behaviour and conduct while using this forum.

The mods do have a tough time keeping this very busy forum spick and span and in fact we have yet to thoroughly clean house due to our busy schedules.

Please cut us some slack if we don't have time to beat around the bush in explaining our actions. We just want to get the job done. The mods are not paid for their responsibilities.... ;) It's all done for the love of the hobby and in service of all reefers in Singapore.

Thanks for your kind understanding, guys! :)

AT