Corals w/o chiller... Need expert help...

Khan

• SRC Member

If u can somehow maintain water temperature at 28 degrees then correct me if I'm wrong most corals except SPS can survive. But do keep in mind they won't thrive and grow as u would like. Most reefers keep their tanks at least 26 degrees. Without a chiller it's very hard to maintain consistent temperature with so many water pumps running.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I am new to this forum but kept a reef tank for several years now. I am able to keep most softies (excluding xenias) and LPS without chiller because I have shallow tanks (max 30cm ht). Evaporation is quite hight though. Have to top up wi DI water.

• SRC Supporter

This is my small set up without chiller/fan.

Ambient temperature runs around 30-33degC during the day (windows closed in study room). Simple timer based auto top up (1minute, 3x a day)

Keeping zoanthids, GSP & a yellow tang. I'd say the zoanthids are doing ok but they can probably do better with coolor water.

No way that even simple SPS like birdsnest is able to survive here.

BF1DF522-A551-487A-9D9A-8F8028C03BAB.jpg

99881A8E-BB74-4769-9C35-BF94F93D977F.jpg

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Ambient temperature runs around 30-33degC during the day (windows closed in study room). Simple timer based auto top up (1minute, 3x a day)
Keeping zoanthids, GSP & a yellow tang. I'd say the zoanthids are doing ok but they can probably do better with coolor water.

Well, that's a nice zoas, gsp tank w/o chiller.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member
On 19/10/2016 at 6:46 PM, SubzeroLT said:

Never know you have a zoa tank. 

How does the ATO works?

• SRC Supporter
2 hours ago, sharonleong said:

Never know you have a zoa tank. 

How does the ATO works?

That's in the study room near the window.

ATO is a 5L bottle, water is pumped via a Tom's Aqua Lifter from the bottle to tank. Power to the aqua lifter is via a standard digital timer which is set to turn on for 1 minute each time (3 times a day). With this, its able to maintain a rather consistent water level throughout the week.

Oh, and that's an AIO tank. Uses 1 filter sponge & a basket of bio meter to keep water clean. Powered by Eheim 600 pump + MP10 wavemaker.

Back to threadstarter's original topic - seeking any other inputs on a setup without chiller. Anymore examples?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 11:53 PM, SubzeroLT said:

ATO is a 5L bottle, water is pumped via a Tom's Aqua Lifter from the bottle to tank. Power to the aqua lifter is via a standard digital timer which is set to turn on for 1 minute each time (3 times a day). With this, its able to maintain a rather consistent water level throughout the week.

Oh, and that's an AIO tank. Uses 1 filter sponge & a basket of bio meter to keep water clean. Powered by Eheim 600 pump + MP10 wavemaker.

Back to threadstarter's original topic - seeking any other inputs on a setup without chiller. Anymore examples?

Bro, do u measure your tank water temp? U have a really beautiful Zoas n GSP tank..salute yea :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Supporter
40 minutes ago, kenyee said:

Bro, do u measure your tank water temp? U have a really beautiful Zoas n GSP tank..salute yea :)

Ha...thanks.

Water temperature get get up to ~31 Deg C . That room gets afternoon sun.

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, SubzeroLT said:

Ha...thanks.

Water temperature get get up to ~31 Deg C . That room gets afternoon sun.

Wah bro..thks alot..think i can off N decomm my fans for my pico Reef tank N FOWLR Tank liao..haha

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member
On 21/10/2016 at 11:53 PM, SubzeroLT said:

Possible to share the brand of the digital timer you use to pair with the aqualift?

• SRC Supporter
20 minutes ago, JMW said:

Possible to share the brand of the digital timer you use to pair with the aqualift?

No brand type. Got it from Gmarket/Qoo10 about 4yrs ago.

Its something like this : 

418U4DgLdvL._SY300_.jpg

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/24-HOUR-AC-WALL-PLUG-DIGITAL-TIMER-SWITCH-AUTO-ON-OFF-TIMER-SMART/406861331