Brown algae..

Mahesh

• SRC Member

FYI that nassarius snails aren't prolific eaters of diatoms, they tend to consume more detritus & uneaten food. Plus I noticed yours is a bare bottom tank with minimal sand.

diatoms are usually attributed to silicates which can come with either water source, sand or rocks. They go away once the silicates are consumed over time, provided husbandry is upkept.

If there's an urgent need to get rid of them however, consider getting trochus or astrea snails instead..

• SRC Member

Hi, need help on Brown Algae in my tank bottom! Which cleaner crew is good to clean my tank?
Thanks in advance..
164326e55d4ce30c7e59f9ca34dbc4fb.jpg
Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Bring down your PO4 to less than 0.07 will help greatly on controlling diatom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Mahesh, do you have a sump ?
If yes, get a Reactor and you can run Phosphate Absorber, the common types are either Iron base or Aluminium base.
For iron base, common one will be either Rowaphos or AF Phosphate Minus. These are only to run with Reactor to get the true benefits. Rowaphos is used by more people I believe but becareful to wash it with RODI water before using, it tends to leak out brownish water during washing.
For Aluminium base, I would recommend FM Ultraphos. This can either be run on Reactor or you just pack in a bag and throw inside the sump for it to works. This can also be placed inside HOB filter if you have no sump.
The other similar to GFO option is using AIO Bio Pellets, this is carbon source combine with Some GFO, but this need a good Reactor to tumble the resin and it takes quite a while to run in.
Hope these Info are good for your reference.

• SRC Member
FYI that nassarius snails aren't prolific eaters of diatoms, they tend to consume more detritus & uneaten food. Plus I noticed yours is a bare bottom tank with minimal sand.
diatoms are usually attributed to silicates which can come with either water source, sand or rocks. They go away once the silicates are consumed over time, provided husbandry is upkept.
If there's an urgent need to get rid of them however, consider getting trochus or astrea snails instead..

Hi JMW, diatoms probably come from my new rocks. I think it will go away over time. But i want to clean up it. I will look for torchus / astrea snails. Also, thinking to use FM ultraphosnto speedup the process.. thanks bro for the knowledge sharing!!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
On 12/26/2016 at 10:05 AM, Mike Stone said:

Mahesh, do you have a sump ?
If yes, get a Reactor and you can run Phosphate Absorber, the common types are either Iron base or Aluminium base.
For iron base, common one will be either Rowaphos or AF Phosphate Minus. These are only to run with Reactor to get the true benefits. Rowaphos is used by more people I believe but becareful to wash it with RODI water before using, it tends to leak out brownish water during washing.
For Aluminium base, I would recommend FM Ultraphos. This can either be run on Reactor or you just pack in a bag and throw inside the sump for it to works. This can also be placed inside HOB filter if you have no sump.
The other similar to GFO option is using AIO Bio Pellets, this is carbon source combine with Some GFO, but this need a good Reactor to tumble the resin and it takes quite a while to run in.
Hope these Info are good for your reference.

Hi Mike, Do you receommend any good reactor for phosphate? I have no idea which one is good.

• 3 weeks later...