SPS issues

• SRC Member

Hi all,

Recently i started rearing SPS and i also got dosing pump with aqua forest component +1 +2+3. And I am using Maxspect ethereal LED.

What is the cause that make my SPS turn brown?

And will My SPS survive even they turn brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the reef happy and that is our pride.

High NO3 or no enough light

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Brown is not dead. Only no colorup

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Browning of SPS is due to buildup in zooxanthellae in their tissue. Excess nutrients can cause this buildup or insufficient lighting can cause the SPS to develop more zooxanthellae from a nutrition standpoint.

Its not dead. Dead is when the tissue sloughs off & exposes the white skeleton beneath.

• Like 1

Turning brown as mentioned by above seniors is caused by the excess zooxanthallaes hosting in SPS tissue, usually trigger by lack of light or excess nutrients ( the 2 most common reasons). So you might wanna look into this 2 areas in order to reverse the browning issue.

It is also very important to keep your kh ca and mg at the acceptable level to attain ionic balance for SPS helath and calcification (growth).

Try searching for more info on SPS lightings and nutrient control and you should see many good info relating to these topics in this forum as well as other reputable forums.

Good luck and happy reefing  :)

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

Hi all. Thank you for your advice. May i ask what dosing chemical u all use for KH, CA and MG? I am using Aqua forest component +1 +2 and +3 but i find it very difficult to adjust to the right reading

• SRC Member

I have lightened up the lighting and hope to see better results for next few day. And do u all feed sps daily?

• SRC Supporter
Hi all. Thank you for your advice. May i ask what dosing chemical u all use for KH, CA and MG? I am using Aqua forest component +1 +2 and +3 but i find it very difficult to adjust to the right reading

The brand of the addictive is not really important , more important is how comfortable you are with the product you are using.

Some of us uses commerical grade 3 part addictive to obtain the same result as well.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

8 hours ago, littlekeong said:

I do not use AF so I am not sure what they are.

For KH, CA and MG, there are a wide variety of methods you can use to supplement to attain the level. Liquid (ready made) or powder form ( mixing your own ) and dose it via manual or auto-doser. The other method is using a calcium reactor but it could be a little advance for you I think.

Usually, for a start , follow the product instructions and dose accordingly and start to take regular measurement using a reliable test kit ( salifert or Nyos ) , using the test result to determine if your dosing is on the right track and right amount, pretty straight forward.

• SRC Member
12 hours ago, littlekeong said:

I have lightened up the lighting and hope to see better results for next few day. And do u all feed sps daily?

Hey, best to increase lighting intensity progressively, especially if using LED. This is so your SPS don't get shocked with the sudden change in light & start exhibiting stress 

My suggestion for first time SPS keepers is to avoid all the carbon dosing/ probiotic methods like Aquaforest, Fauna Marin, Zeovit etc and utilize the old school method of keeping your water clean with strong skimming, running phosphate removers and regular water changes along with sensible fish and invert stocking.  This is to get you on the learning curve of understanding how stable water parameters and especially carbonate dkh stability is important to the health of sps corals. 

When you can keep good colouration and growth with the old school method, then you can be more adventurous and try to improve things with probiotic methods.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, honkit said:

My suggestion for first time SPS keepers is to avoid all the carbon dosing/ probiotic methods like Aquaforest, Fauna Marin, Zeovit etc and utilize the old school method of keeping your water clean with strong skimming, running phosphate removers and regular water changes along with sensible fish and invert stocking.  This is to get you on the learning curve of understanding how stable water parameters and especially carbonate dkh stability is important to the health of sps corals. 

When you can keep good colouration and growth with the old school method, then you can be more adventurous and try to improve things with probiotic methods.

This is a very good point.

Get to experience the cycling process and understand the constrains faced by an enclosed system ( i.e. marine tank ) , go through the stages and see for yourself the natural process in which nutrients and lightings affect the overall outlook of the tank. Try to do some thinking and why things happens they way they did, follow by understand via readings and research from the internet ( many great articles available from eg. advanced aquarist ) .

Reefing is enjoyable not just from the admiring and visual satisfaction, but it can also be derived from learning and exploration perspective. Knowing that you understand why certain corals react the way they did can be quite satisfying.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:36 PM, littlekeong said:

do u all feed your sps daily?

SPS can derived their nutrition needs from a few way and feeding is one of them.

For me , feeding them with Reefbooster or Reef Roid ( from our sponsor Reed Depot ) once or twice a week is more then enough to keep the SPS happy .

• SRC Member

This is a very good point.
Get to experience the cycling process and understand the constrains faced by an enclosed system ( i.e. marine tank ) , go through the stages and see for yourself the natural process in which nutrients and lightings affect the overall outlook of the tank. Try to do some thinking and why things happens they way they did, follow by understand via readings and research from the internet ( many great articles available from eg. advanced aquarist ) .
Reefing is enjoyable not just from the admiring and visual satisfaction, but it can also be derived from learning and exploration perspective. Knowing that you understand why certain corals react the way they did can be quite satisfying.

I think it's also important to keep a log of what was added (equipment, Sps etc) to the tank as well as the parameters ca, dkh, po4, no3 and mg is also useful.

Reefing to me sometimes can be very frustrating and upsetting but I'm sure at the end of the day when the outcome is achieved it can be very satisfying.

Sometimes you have to incur losses (to me emotional more than anything else) in order to learn (speaking from experience =X)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AloysiusMun said:

I think it's also important to keep a log of what was added (equipment, Sps etc) to the tank as well as the parameters ca, dkh, po4, no3 and mg is also useful.

Reefing to me sometimes can be very frustrating and upsetting but I'm sure at the end of the day when the outcome is achieved it can be very satisfying.

Sometimes you have to incur losses (to me emotional more than anything else) in order to learn (speaking from experience =X)

Yes, it's very useful to keep a log of activities done to the tank, this allows the reefer to keep track and learnt from the past action done to the tank :welldone:

Reefing is a journey, every setback is another step towards sweet success  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Usually if you are keeping fishes with your sps the fish poo is the food for your sps.

First is learn how to keep your sps survive.

Then how to color them up

Be patient. Learn along the way. 

Any impulse action likely to bring harm then good

• Like 2

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer