Most Unnecessary Purchase

• SRC Member

Hello folks! Have been Reefing since June 2014 and have come to realise over the years that some items I have bought before were absolutely unnecessary. So to help those who are new to this hobby avoid the heartache, am calling all reefers to share the items you were convinced to buy but in the end was redundant.

For me, the most unnecessary purchase was the IM filter sock for my then IM Nuvo Fusion 40. That thing clogged up almost immediately, and I had to keep scrubbing it but it would keep clogging and overflowing. I was better just going back to use filter wool which was much more economical.

Apart from that, I had also spent unnecessary money making 2 Nanotanks when actually I would have been very happy just keeping a 2ft cube right from the start. Hundreds were spent getting equipment to start up the tanks and work around the small space in the IOS. In the end after 2 years of mucking around, I finally realised a proper tank with a proper sump was the way to go unless you can afford the space to make the IOS that has 1ft of space to put all that equipment you need. If only I took the time to learn properly and plan a proper tank, I would have saved so much time and money.

How about the rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Haha, I think most of is are guilty of this. My most unnecessary purchase was a rotary wave making device (I don't even know what it's called!) from one of the friendly bros here. Basically I was very enthusiastic to ensure my tank had lots of irregular flow like the real ocean, so I bought this device that is supposed to attach to your pump, then it would swing left to right in an arc to ensure your pump blows in many different directions. But in the end, alamak! It's so big and my tank so small that I couldn't deploy it at all. Just settled for an rw4 with alternating mode to create water current instead lol.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk