Bobbit worm in my tank???!!!

CPperson

Hi everyone, this is a big shock to me. I was watching some videos on bobbit worms and I was thinking to myself, I would never get them and I went back to my tank. And inside a hole in one of the rocks, I see a red wormish head poking out with like 3 long tentacles and 2 short ones? Before retracting back. I was really shocked and worried, how could I have gotten a bobbit worm? Of course there are many different Eunicidae worms and mine is red, so it should not be those huge 6 feet tank destroying ones right? I am that "Leave it in the tank unless proven guilty" guy. And I would really be happy if it is safe,they are kinda cool IMO. Anyone can give any advices on this worm? It would be really greatly appreciated! Thanks! (i'll try to get a pic.) Btw, anyone here also get this kind of worms before? I got this worm in a live rock from a marine shop in pasir ris Haha.

Sent from my LG-H650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you buy live rocks or corals attached to larger rock, you're bound to get a few of them. Used to have a few of them, they usually source out the dead fishes (thats why dead fishes tends to disappear in tanks with lotsa live rock) and any thing that can be eaten. They are scavengers.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

I have the smaller ones in my tank and they live within the live rocks. Never had any problem at least so far but i could wrong. At least I won't be too worried about uneaten fish food going under the rock since the worms are really hardy and they will be the one to finish the leftovers.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

I have 2 eunice worms in my tank, each about 1 foot long. Gave up on catching them and just left them alone... Good clean up crew until they reach monster size lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...