My Beginner Tank

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to here and also not the less to document my 2nd newly build tank have been recently running for approx 3-4 week.

Feel free to comment and needs much of fellow Reefer comment to build better. 64296ef8356b3138415799cd6b0b7551.jpg

Here goes the scaping of the rock

ceeb442706156472997e54fb37f2b8ef.jpg

Actually the story come in this way when my wife asking me to set up a fish tank for my daughter and eventually I have propose for a marine tank. Looking at youtube and some LFS video and page recommended for nano tank that is so easy to keep at. So decided to get all live rock, water, never the less custom tank on a table top with all hanging filter, skimmer and definitely marine lighting as well.

As everything goes smoothly and immediately I get some nemo in and it is okie till I getting more fish in the tank before leaving for my Aussie trip for a week. It's like approx 15 fish and 1 ribbon eel and the 1st impression of the tank would be much satisfied.

Realizing that the fish is getting lesser and dying day by day and the LR have come with unwanted pest and no quarantine tank was set up for the fish. Finally the balance fish was hit by ich !!!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Getting fed up looking at all sick fish, getting some help from LFS and manage to get some medicine for them but in the end only few left. Have move them to quarantine tank while I'm getting the re setting up again with more and more study from the web.

So finally the tank have been setting up and no more fish left and only balance of 2 fishes in the tank also pass away day before ytd. -.-"

Only the shrimp get to live and some coral balance from previous tank. a1adbd22fb6d697d12047defffe61ddc.jpg1c4085f930751e2506be95058a2e9686.jpg

• SRC Member

Hi bro, just to feedback that there's too many fish in a tank that size, so the risk of fish getting sick is very high as they will feel stressed. I would say 5 small fish is the max number you can go. Also, ribbon eels are notorious for being very difficult to care for. You may wish to use this site to reference how many fish to keep for your tank size. It helps calculate compatibility etc.
http://www.marinecompatibilityguide.com

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Yeah common mistake made by most people who start a reef tank. So tempting, all the nice fishes in the store you just want to have them all. Too many too soon. So do read up and be patient otherwise you will conclude that reefkeeping is difficult and give up. That will be a waste of time and money. You also mentioned about going overseas? Not advisable to start a tank and then go away so soon. First few weeks of a new tank is critical. Have to monitor it closely to make sure all is going well. Well hope you will learn to enjoy the hobby and all the best.

• SRC Member
Hi bro, just to feedback that there's too many fish in a tank that size, so the risk of fish getting sick is very high as they will feel stressed. I would say 5 small fish is the max number you can go. Also, ribbon eels are notorious for being very difficult to care for. You may wish to use this site to reference how many fish to keep for your tank size. It helps calculate compatibility etc.
http://www.marinecompatibilityguide.com

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hi tuajia,

Thanks for your useful info. Not knowing that previously and overcrowded them after several reading.

• SRC Member
Yeah common mistake made by most people who start a reef tank. So tempting, all the nice fishes in the store you just want to have them all. Too many too soon. So do read up and be patient otherwise you will conclude that reefkeeping is difficult and give up. That will be a waste of time and money. You also mentioned about going overseas? Not advisable to start a tank and then go away so soon. First few weeks of a new tank is critical. Have to monitor it closely to make sure all is going well. Well hope you will learn to enjoy the hobby and all the best.

Hi,

Thanks for your info too. Not knowing it is so difficult and definitely wish to do well in this second tank. Hope everything goes well this time round.

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, ronnieloong said:

Hi,

Thanks for your info too. Not knowing it is so difficult and definitely wish to do well in this second tank. Hope everything goes well this time round.

You are welcome ronnie. Feel free to ask if in doubt. We want everyone who go into this hobby to succeed.