Coral bleaching can be reversed

• SRC Member

Hi folks. As you may have read, vast areas of reefs all over the world are bleaching. Rising temperature is the suspected cause but I believe there are other contributing causes.

Anyway I believe bleaching can be reversed, based on what I see in my own tank.

A few months ago, my reverse sunset monti started bleaching for no known reason.

Then it stopped. And now the coral is starting to re-colonise the dead parts. Really cool.

20170616_184853.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Yes the reef can be recovered , as in a controlled environment in our tank , we can easily adjust the light and water temperature but in the natural ocean human can't control it, so global warming is very real.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 2

• SRC Member

While global warming is very real, temperature rises very very gradually. And if you go out to the Great Barrier Reef, the water is still cold (relative to around here).

So my theory is that there may be other factors - such as changing salinity and nutrient levels - that are contributing to widespread bleaching. Not forgetting natural predators such as crown-of-thorn starfish.

• Like 1