Newbie question: Chiller vs Compressor

I'm relatively new in this hobby, just like to check. How much savings do we really see between a chiller and compressor in terms of electricity?

How much heat will a compressor generate?

I'm currently using a 66s chiller for a 422, I know it's under size and am looking at a change by don't know which way to go towards.

Search past threads. Savings can be calculated(if u monitor the Kickstart and stop per day) but will be estimation. There are other factors like heat emission from PUMPS. Generally, drop in coil has more advantages if price is not an issue. 

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Supporter

I have a compressor next to my 5ft tank (850l). It takes about 20-30min to cool 1degC. Based on my tracking, it runs a total of about 4-5hrs per day.

It does get quite windy/warm when the compressor is on since all that heat is now removed in a shorter time.

But i'm sure a chiller takes a longer time to cool & will overall run longer & more expensive.

Here is the bill cost :

Air Con.JPG

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

I have a compressor next to my 5ft tank (850l). It takes about 20-30min to cool 1degC. Based on my tracking, it runs a total of about 4-5hrs per day.

It does get quite windy/warm when the compressor is on since all that heat is now removed in a shorter time.

But i'm sure a chiller takes a longer time to cool & will overall run longer & more expensive.

Here is the bill cost :

Air Con.JPG

How many horsepower is it?

• SRC Member
14 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Here is the bill cost :

Air Con.JPG

How many horsepower is it?

• SRC Member
17 hours ago, killkyo512 said:

Thanks but that's quite hard for me, my tank is pretty far away from the service balcony.
Shall continue my ponder...

That's the beauty of a drop in coil chiller. The compressor can be very far from tank. No problem.

Here is the bill cost :
Air Con.JPG

That's very informative for me. Thanks for the calculations.

Drop in coil easily 50% costlier. That's why your first consideration is whether noise and heat are serious issues for you.

Actually I'm looking at economical sense now, as my tank is sitting in an open area near my door, most heat will not stay, noise wise, so far using chiller haven't been too noisy for me.

• SRC Supporter

A new set of compressor/coil/controller/installation is roughly around $1400.

2nd hand set can be found occasionally in the forums typically between $400-$900. Then need to factor in about $250 installation for the 2nd hand set.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

I think if u r looking at long run TCO with equipmemt cost added in , then the electrical efficiency rating is also impt.

I run the teco tk500 directing exaust air away thru a vent which the tk series were designed with. By ensuring warm air doesn't hit back at the coils the chiller is also more efficient.

The tk500 consumes less power supposedly but if it conks fast then its still costly.

So reliability (brand n trackrecord), a well ventilated area ( compressor can prob be placed somewhere windy) and right sizing the equipment according to the tank size all have to be balanced up I guess.

I got sick of hilea chillers water tank rusting n leaking. I also find that you can't really service chillers much. I currently use daikin 1hp chiller. Super reliable any air con service person can service it. The downside is the hot air it emits is rather warm. I would suggest you mount the compressor far away. Outside your unit if possible. 

• Like 1