Real lessons I have learned.. the hard way

• SRC Member

Dear Reefers,

After nearly 3 years keeping a saltwater reef tank, I realized the best lessons have been given by all the seniors here. There is really no magic. No “secret additive” nor method. I made several horrendous and expensive mistakes because I refused to listen.

So here are my own 10 lessons:

1. If you want corals, get a chiller. Or pick very hardy corals.

2. This is I think a rule I kept procrastinating to obey. USE RODI WATER. Full stop. I tried all kinds of work around. Nope. Just get the cheapest RODI water treatment system, add salt and that solves so many of your problems like algae, poor coral growth etc etc. To me, this is the most important lesson.

3. Change 10-20% of your Aquarium water even if the water looks “clean”. No point doing all the nitrate tests. Just change it dutifully. I am in the water treatment business and thought I can beat the system by using various methods to avoid water change. I am wrong. Just do it. This is the second most important lesson. 3dc3f4e049e89aa55d9911c9f03293a7.jpg

4. Don’t overstock. Resist the temptation to buy “a few” fishes. Come on one extra Fish won’t crash the tank. It will.

5. Feed very little. Alternate day feeding. Don’t worry they won’t starve to death.

6. If you keep corals, get a good light.

7. Read and research.

8. Listen to the seniors in this forum who have done it before.

9. Don’t buy anemone unless you have shielded your wave maker. Blender kill has caused my tank to crash a few times.

10. Figure a way out to maintain the tank with the least effort so you won’t hate it.

Had I stuck to the above rules I think I could have saved myself lots of blind alleys, frustration and money. You will note that I am saying nothing new. That’s precisely the lessons I learned.

Last rule - have fun. Happy Reefing!! And I would love to take this opportunity to thank all the Bros here for the advice so freely given over the years.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 4

point 10 is very impt, once a hobby became a chore its decomm time

thanks for sharing, here's mine

Stability: always make minor changes, be it water change, dosing additives or changing of light tubes etc etc

Natural Food Source: try not to keep fish that feed solely on pods / natural algae as new addition usually feed on them before accepting "prepared food"

Avoid Stress: dont rescape, frag, add new fish etc etc every other day / week

Murphy's law: try to have backup equipment, esp return pump, if possible chiller too

happy reefing

• Like 1

• 4 months later...