Cycling without filtration

Hi, iam starting a new reef tank , i really dont understand about sump and plumbing etc my 20 gallon reef tank i had it without sump and all hangin equipment only( filtration skimmer and hang on reactor)

So iam planning to upgrade and do the right way, so i hire a guy to setting up my sump but now hes out of country for i dont knpw how long

The question is

Can i start to cycle my tank without any filtration just sand water and live rock for a while because i just couldnt stand staring an empty tank and want to start to cycle my tank immediately

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

Ideally the cycling would be done with sand,rocks and filter media so that bacteria can start to colonise and grow inside your filter media.

Maybe what you can do is start place all your rock ,sand filter media in your tank with a power head or wavemaker to start the tank cycling while waiting and this will help speed up the processes.

• Like 1

Ideally the cycling would be done with sand,rocks and filter media so that bacteria can start to colonise and grow inside your filter media.

Maybe what you can do is start place all your rock ,sand filter media in your tank with a power head or wavemaker to start the tank cycling while waiting and this will help speed up the processes.

Thx now iam confidence to start the cycle only with wavemaker

• Admin

Yes it's a very popular bacteria we reefer use here.