No mechanical filtration

Jidan

• SRC Member

I have been reading online much and some say that not having mechanical filtration is better. I removed my hangonback filter and is only running on skimmer and powerheads for flow. I have no sump. However there are many dust like particles floating in the tank. Should i add my hob filter back? 

• SRC Member

Yes you should....mechanical filter is important for trapping fish waste. But do make sure you change them out often....the reason why some people say its better not having mechanical filtration is because some of us do not change out the filter frequent enough which would allow the fish waste to decompose. So mechanical filter have to be change out frequently to be more efficient.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Hi, I agree with bsjz that you should put the hob filter back because it seems that the particles bother you. 

Mech filtration can serve two purpose, nutrient export and removing particulate matter. If removing particlate matter is a goal then you can just replace the filterwool when it gets clogged. If you plan to use it as a nutrient export then you need to change it out every 2-3 days for it to be effective as a nutrient export method.

I have particles floating around in my tank too. I call them my marine snow(particulate organic matter). Corals can catch some types of particulate organic matter and it doesnt bother me. Just to clarify, its not at a point where it is reducing my water clarity substantially. 

To run no mechanical filter you need to have a refugium and skimmer

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Good idea. I think the availability of a sump coupled with a bigger display does actually lower the need for mechanical filtration, especially if you are going +1 on your skimmer and have a refugium with macroalgae. Just my 2c

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I feel that even with a refugium and skimmer, you would still want to consider mechanical filtration.  If you have biological filter like bio-rings/sphere or similar, you would want to remove/reduce the particle matters that will be going through them, as they could get stuck and clog up the spores on the surface.  Then not only will you have waste material building up on your biofilter, the effectiveness of the biofilter will also degrade.

• SRC Member
I feel that even with a refugium and skimmer, you would still want to consider mechanical filtration.  If you have biological filter like bio-rings/sphere or similar, you would want to remove/reduce the particle matters that will be going through them, as they could get stuck and clog up the spores on the surface.  Then not only will you have waste material building up on your biofilter, the effectiveness of the biofilter will also degrade.

Can’t argue with that. I guess with mechanical filtration in mind it just comes down to whether you’re a sock guy or a floss guy hahahaha

If u plan your biological filter after your refugium  all your particle matters will settle at your refugium.

They are food source for your refugium

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
If u plan your biological filter after your refugium  all your particle matters will settle at your refugium.
They are food source for your refugium

Agreed. Plus if your overflow/drain system has Guards you wouldn’t necessarily need to worry about large particles getting into your sump, lessening the need for mechanical filtration. But redundancy can be a good thing in many cases in this hobby