Chaeto or bacteria media

littlekeong

• SRC Member

Kessil H series is good choice. It has 660nm n 460nm wavelength peaks that really drives the photosynthesis in algae. 

You can use any horticulture lights if you can find a cheaper alternative than kessil. 

Using a simple powercompact is a poor choice because we are only interested in those wavelength peaks, dont need full spectrum to grow algae. Using horticulture leds is more energy efficient :)

Only recommend bacteria media if you have a bare bottom minimalist scape. Even then a few cubes/ a block of marinepure is enough.

• SRC Member

Refugium has a side benefit that value adds to your system.

it soaks up CO2 and increases the pH of your system. Is a good natural pH buffer AND promotes calcification. You can grow macroalgae for tangs, offers a refuge for copepods/amphipods.

Even with high levels of predators, a refuge for the preys allow them to not go extinct in your system and multiply.

refugium is a proven nutrient export method with many side benefits.

bacteria media is an anecdotal nutrient export at best without the side benefits.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Kessil H series is good choice. It has 660nm n 460nm wavelength peaks that really drives the photosynthesis in algae. 
You can use any horticulture lights if you can find a cheaper alternative than kessil. 
Using a simple powercompact is a poor choice because we are only interested in those wavelength peaks, dont need full spectrum to grow algae. Using horticulture leds is more energy efficient
Only recommend bacteria media if you have a bare bottom minimalist scape. Even then a few cubes/ a block of marinepure is enough.

Hi, ic. Im looking at taobao plant growing plant which is red and blue light bulb. Do u think that will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the reef happy and that is our pride.

• SRC Member
Refugium has a side benefit that value adds to your system.
it soaks up CO2 and increases the pH of your system. Is a good natural pH buffer AND promotes calcification. You can grow macroalgae for tangs, offers a refuge for copepods/amphipods.
Even with high levels of predators, a refuge for the preys allow them to not go extinct in your system and multiply.
refugium is a proven nutrient export method with many side benefits.
bacteria media is an anecdotal nutrient export at best without the side benefits.

Hi, thank you for the information.

Do u let your chaeto round or sink underneath the sump?

• SRC Member

Hi, ic. Im looking at taobao plant growing plant which is red and blue light bulb. Do u think that will work?

Best spectrum is 6500k for growing macroalgae, not that hard to find and very affordable as well with a wide variety for you to choose from. Like full hedge has mentioned, kessil’s grow lights are the premium choice but very pricey if you’re on a tight Budget. If you have the Budget, the best would prolly be kessil’s h380 flora light. Grows macroalgae real fast cause of the intense red and blue-only ideal spectrum. But if you hate the strong pink glow, just go for a cheaper alternative in warm white 6500k fixtures

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, soggycookies said:

Best spectrum is 6500k for growing macroalgae, not that hard to find and very affordable as well with a wide variety for you to choose from. Like full hedge has mentioned, kessil’s grow lights are the premium choice but very pricey if you’re on a tight Budget. If you have the Budget, the best would prolly be kessil’s h380 flora light. Grows macroalgae real fast cause of the intense red and blue-only ideal spectrum. But if you hate the strong pink glow, just go for a cheaper alternative in warm white 6500k fixtures

Best spectrum has a 460nm and 660nm wavelength peak and nothing else. 

All the other wavelengths produced is waste. You need multiple PC Bulbs to match kessil. N all that wasted electricity does add up. 

Matching wavelength peak you provide+chlorophyll absorption peak= success 

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, littlekeong said:

Should be. I dont have the spectrum reading of the light. But if u see cree royal blue leds, good to go.

1 hour ago, littlekeong said:

Hi, thank you for the information.

Do u let your chaeto round or sink underneath the sump?

I dont grow cheato, growing a red macro algae. Mine is just shoved into the IOS sump compartment.

• SRC Member

Hi, noted. So i will just find 6500 kelvin. Do i need to look for PAR38?

• SRC Member
Best spectrum has a 460nm and 660nm wavelength peak and nothing else. 
All the other wavelengths produced is waste. You need multiple PC Bulbs to match kessil. N all that wasted electricity does add up. 
Matching wavelength peak you provide+chlorophyll absorption peak= success 

Hi, ic. Mmm let me look around and see the spec match your information and i will post here

• SRC Member
I dont grow cheato, growing a red macro algae. Mine is just shoved into the IOS sump compartment.

Mmm what kind of macro algae u grow?

• SRC Member
gracilaria curtissae.
I actually recommend you go for kessil.
While it can be pricey, kessil makes reliable products that are gonna last years. If you see the value in what kessil produces, its a reasonable price to pay.

I just saw the price of Kessil. 600 plus

• SRC Member

Hi, noted. So i will just find 6500 kelvin. Do i need to look for PAR38?

I’m no expert on par but imo if you’re just growing macroalgae you don’t need crazy lighting to grow it, it would be nice to have a $600 kessil’s h380 but if you’re using it to grow a small chamber of chaeto with limited space, a 6500 bulb fixture from a hardware store or general aquarium stores like seaview will do. In my experience it’s better to get a bulb than a cheap LED if that’s the case. If you’re going for LEDs, make sure they’re quality ones(like Kessil)

• SRC Member

I’m no expert on par but imo if you’re just growing macroalgae you don’t need crazy lighting to grow it, it would be nice to have a $600 kessil’s h380 but if you’re using it to grow a small chamber of chaeto with limited space, a 6500 bulb fixture from a hardware store or general aquarium stores like seaview will do. In my experience it’s better to get a bulb than a cheap LED if that’s the case. If you’re going for LEDs, make sure they’re quality ones(like Kessil)

For Chaeto, just get the all red and one blue LED flood light from Qoo10.
It's less than $40 and is effective.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Hi, ic. do I need to make my chaeto turn round or sink underneath?

• SRC Member
For Chaeto, just get the all red and one blue LED flood light from Qoo10.
It's less than $40 and is effective.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi, thank you for your advise will look into it.

• SRC Member
I just started cheato in my sump using my fresh water LED light. Need to wait and see..

I am looking to rear chaeto. Hopefully I can make it.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Hi, ic. do I need to make my chaeto turn round or sink underneath?

In the Long term as your chaeto grows it’s probably not gonna be tumbling most of the time but that’s not an issue, as Long as there is flow and decent lighting you’re good to go

• SRC Member

In the Long term as your chaeto grows it’s probably not gonna be tumbling most of the time but that’s not an issue, as Long as there is flow and decent lighting you’re good to go

Ok, how do u make chaeto sink? Cause I remember last time when I had chaeto (which is a failure) the chaeto will float and burn the top part of the chaeto.