Chaeto or bacteria media

littlekeong

• SRC Member

Ok, how do u make chaeto sink? Cause I remember last time when I had chaeto (which is a failure) the chaeto will float and burn the top part of the chaeto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put it in a lower flow area if possible, but other than that I don’t have a foolproof answer for you mate. I combine my chaeto with other misc. gracillaria algae and it attaches onto them which stops them floating around, though most of the time my chaeto grows into a ball and doesn’t really float up

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Put it in a lower flow area if possible, but other than that I don’t have a foolproof answer for you mate. I combine my chaeto with other misc. gracillaria algae and it attaches onto them which stops them floating around, though most of the time my chaeto grows into a ball and doesn’t really float up

Will chaeto attach with rock? Planning to put a rock to force chaeto sink.

Keep the reef happy and that is our pride.

• SRC Member

Will chaeto attach with rock? Planning to put a rock to force chaeto sink.

Chaeto doesn’t attach to rock. You can try using a rock to hold some parts of it down, that might help a bit.

• SRC Member

Chaeto doesn’t attach to rock. You can try using a rock to hold some parts of it down, that might help a bit.

Hi, ok I give it a try.

• SRC Member
On 2/27/2018 at 10:02 AM, soggycookies said:

hey, how to get pods in chaeto? or grow more pods? 

• SRC Member
hey, how to get pods in chaeto? or grow more pods? 

As far as doing it professionally you could culture them feeding them phytoplankton. I’ve never tried it though. I get my chaeto/macroalgae from local beaches so they already come with a variety of microorganisms, including copepods and amphipods. They then multiply like crazy in my sump and external refugium in the sand, media and macroalgae. Chaeto is supposedly the best for them because their swirling mass provides refuge and a hiding place compared to macroalgae like gracilaria and caulerpa

• SRC Member
6 minutes ago, soggycookies said:

As far as doing it professionally you could culture them feeding them phytoplankton. I’ve never tried it though. I get my chaeto/macroalgae from local beaches so they already come with a variety of microorganisms, including copepods and amphipods. They then multiply like crazy in my sump and external refugium in the sand, media and macroalgae. Chaeto is supposedly the best for them because their swirling mass provides refuge and a hiding place compared to macroalgae like gracilaria and caulerpa

Ic, mm I can get some chaeto from you, just for the microorganisms to grow like crazy in my tank

oh, and how long will they need to multiply like crazy?

• SRC Member
Ic, mm I can get some chaeto from you, just for the microorganisms to grow like crazy in my tank
oh, and how long will they need to multiply like crazy?

I don’t have enough at the moment for you bro hahaha. If they have an area in your tank where they can safely multiply, they generally aren’t all that hard to grow. Give it a month. I went without removing my Filter sock from my system for a month a couple times, when I took it out there were huge amphipods in it. I have a Seahorse and a Mandarin in my system that I never have to feed cause they’ve been living off the pods in my system.

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, soggycookies said:

I don’t have enough at the moment for you bro hahaha. If they have an area in your tank where they can safely multiply, they generally aren’t all that hard to grow. Give it a month. I went without removing my Filter sock from my system for a month a couple times, when I took it out there were huge amphipods in it. I have a Seahorse and a Mandarin in my system that I never have to feed cause they’ve been living off the pods in my system.

haha it ok. So it will be good to remove the filter sock? 

• SRC Member
haha it ok. So it will be good to remove the filter sock? 

What I meant was that I left my filter sock in my sump without removing it for a month. There were a whole bunch of pods on/in it. Turns out they were multiplying in it cause I didn’t change it out for so long. Currently I’m trying to run my system without socks to see how it affects particulate matter in my tank cause every time I take my filter sock out I have OCD about all the pods I’ll be killing when I wash it out. They really breed like crazy in my filter sock

• SRC Member
3 minutes ago, soggycookies said:

What I meant was that I left my filter sock in my sump without removing it for a month. There were a whole bunch of pods on/in it. Turns out they were multiplying in it cause I didn’t change it out for so long. Currently I’m trying to run my system without socks to see how it affects particulate matter in my tank cause every time I take my filter sock out I have OCD about all the pods I’ll be killing when I wash it out. They really breed like crazy in my filter sock

icic.. I planning to change my filter sock to a cabinet type and put filter wool in it..

• SRC Member
icic.. I planning to change my filter sock to a cabinet type and put filter wool in it..

I had the same idea. Socks are great but if you neglect maintenance they are pretty nasty. Great for accidental pod culturing though. Hahahaha.

• SRC Member
44 minutes ago, soggycookies said:

I had the same idea. Socks are great but if you neglect maintenance they are pretty nasty. Great for accidental pod culturing though. Hahahaha.

yup. debris too much in the sock will cause nutrient high. and the sock is not cheap also.