Need advise on disease ID

• SRC Member
I will probably disagree with that. Just quarantine every single specimen. There are probably 2 school of thoughts.

1) let the fishes fight it out and they will be immune to it!

2) treat it completely in QT regardless of any symptoms and you will not deal with it eventually!

What you are implying is point 1.

Marine ich will always be in the system once being introduced. Fishes showing no symptoms of MI will not indicate that your system/fishes are free of MI. They are probably just resistant to MI. However, once stress (by adding new livestock or re scraping) is induced into the system, the fishes will probably lose its resistant to MI, hence an outbreak. All it take is just a small speck! By Performing A quarantine procedure, it will ensure that MI lifecycle will be totally breeched "it's just the nature of science and their lifecycle that you're battling".

I have zebrasome tangs who used to be living in a tank full of MI which never showed any symptoms of MI while other fishes did continuously. I restarted the entire system, did a proper quarantine procedure and they are all good now. No matter how much my angels and the tangs hates one another and the amount of stress they created between themselves, they are currently still free of MI I've still yet to medicate my DT, however if there's a need I'll recapture all and dump all back to QTs.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Agreed. If your system is lightly stocked, it is probably worthwhile to set up a larger, established QT to treat your fish. However, if your tank is heavily stocked with smaller, zippy fish, AND plenty of rock and corals as well... I get why many would rather just let the fish “deal with it” haha.

Also read somewhere that the only way for MI to be completely eradicated without being treated outside your tank is the generations of the parasite dying off after 6-11 months given no new ich pathogens are introduced into the tank.

Which would mean literally not adding anything- be it fish, coral or aquascape into your tank for that extended period of time and ensuring none of your fish get infected in that period again due to a lowered immunity.

And even then it’s a long shot. Whenever you add new livestock and stress on your current fishes is back, even momentarily, it is very likely you’ll see the white spots appear again, unless you treat every single fish and leave your main display without fish for a minimum of 5-6 weeks for the entire ich parasite life cycle to expire

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1