Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

Zac

• SRC Member

So here it goes again after a long break from reefing. Stop for awhile in the midst of shifting house and also posted overseas for a few months. Good to be back again! Wanted to get something small for my humble house, was looking at Red Sea Max Nano however ended up with the Reefer 170 which i am glad i did.

Going to let the pictures do most of the talking.

Day 1 :  1st March 2018

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

• Like 1

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member

Day 2 of cycling. Added fish food instead of market prawn thoughts?

IMG_2322.JPG

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member

Day 3 : added more fish pellets, still no spike in ammonia.

Hooked up the skimmer but not fired up.

IMG_1133.JPG

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member

Day 4: Added more fish food, 5 scoop to be exact. Still no spike in ammonia yet.

IMG_6019.JPG

• Like 1

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member

Bro im doing a tank similar to yours but nano. Delivery on tuesday. I got all my equipment ready and im gonna use prodibio startup for my cycle. FnM only sell 1 size which is the 30 vials one and i think i only need 2 vials. I can spare u some if u need?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, Ashtrax said:

Woo............. Expensive stuff, bro do dose beneficial bacteria.

Noted thanks bro!

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member
16 minutes ago, Jidan said:

Bro im doing a tank similar to yours but nano. Delivery on tuesday. I got all my equipment ready and im gonna use prodibio startup for my cycle. FnM only sell 1 size which is the 30 vials one and i think i only need 2 vials. I can spare u some if u need?

Thanks bro so kind of you! i am so lost with whats what these days. Let me research a little on whats prodibio. lets share cost if i needed it. Thanks.

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member

There are two kinds of bacteria you want to take note of. Chemo-autotrophs and heterotrophic. 

Chemo autotrophs (nitrifying bacteria) are of nitrosomonas and nitrobacter genus, responsible for oxidising ammonia into nitrite and then to nitrate. Commonly marketed as instant cycle products. Using such products at this time makes sense because you are cycling your tank. Prodibio startup fits the description.

Heterotrophic bacteria on the other hand is the bacteria we use for nitrate and phosphate export. I have shown in an experiment that it only works when a carbon source is provided. In my experiment I used biopellets ( polyhydroxybutyrate), but any carbon source would do. The bacteria product used was zeobak. Adding heterotrophic bacteria without a carbon source does not reduce nutrients levels. Also once system is STABLE, I actually see little reason to dose heterotrophic bacteria. The correct term for carbon dosing is actually stoichiometric manipulation of nutrient levels. They key is to raise carbon level rather than focus on the bacteria. 

I hope this clears up your confusion. 

Must be discerning and prudent about what we add :)

• Like 2

Following

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, Full Hedge said:

There are two kinds of bacteria you want to take note of. Chemo-autotrophs and heterotrophic. 

Chemo autotrophs (nitrifying bacteria) are of nitrosomonas and nitrobacter genus, responsible for oxidising ammonia into nitrite and then to nitrate. Commonly marketed as instant cycle products. Using such products at this time makes sense because you are cycling your tank. Prodibio startup fits the description.

Heterotrophic bacteria on the other hand is the bacteria we use for nitrate and phosphate export. I have shown in an experiment that it only works when a carbon source is provided. In my experiment I used biopellets ( polyhydroxybutyrate), but any carbon source would do. The bacteria product used was zeobak. Adding heterotrophic bacteria without a carbon source does not reduce nutrients levels. Also once system is STABLE, I actually see little reason to dose heterotrophic bacteria. The correct term for carbon dosing is actually stoichiometric manipulation of nutrient levels. They key is to raise carbon level rather than focus on the bacteria. 

I hope this clears up your confusion. 

Must be discerning and prudent about what we add :)

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member
10 hours ago, Jidan said:

I actually wanted to get RSM Nano too. How is it doing for you so far?

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member
No prob bro, thanks for the chocolates. Pls tell me if it works haha, i just put today also.

I dose yesterday night when I got home. Check my Ammonia Level this morning before going to work. Ammonia: 0. Maybe need more time. Let me test and update again.

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member
2 hours ago, kakak99 said:

My 3ft tank, on the 4th day I throw corals and fishes in lao  :lol:

But my not a proper example

LOL i wish i have the guts. Just want to go slow this time round. actually cant wait for it to be cycled!!!

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170

• SRC Member
Day 7 : Ammonia at 1ppm
IMG_2440.thumb.JPG.83e5da4f21d0fc2253dd7c5c329b627b.JPG

Day 3 my ammonia level was Way up the roof. Seem to be like 20ppm. Should bring it higher, just my 2 cents. Healthier for the livestocks and Better in the Long run