Where can i get small species of octopus or cuttlefish?

NubReefer

• SRC Member

I always been fancinated by these soft yet agile creature, and futher interaction with an octopus during a tide at changi beach exposed the wish of getting one of these.

But i dont recall any shop selling them except at iwarna, they sell two of them and the price is way to out of my budget, and thats like one year ago so yeah..can anyone tell me where can i get one at a reasonable price and small size?

Thx

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
I always been fancinated by these soft yet agile creature, and futher interaction with an octopus during a tide at changi beach exposed the wish of getting one of these.

But i dont recall any shop selling them except at iwarna, they sell two of them and the price is way to out of my budget, and thats like one year ago so yeah..can anyone tell me where can i get one at a reasonable price and small size?

Thx

Any particular species you have in mind? I agree, I hardly ever see them being sold in our LFS. I have kept cuttlefish several times before but all of mine were wild caught. IME they are harder to keep than seahorses because they almost always require live food, and have monstrous appetites and an equally monstrous bioload. Never tried keeping Octopus before, though I’ve caught them before too. But that was ages ago, before I got into the saltwater tank hobby

• SRC Member
Any particular species you have in mind? I agree, I hardly ever see them being sold in our LFS. I have kept cuttlefish several times before but all of mine were wild caught. IME they are harder to keep than seahorses because they almost always require live food, and have monstrous appetites and an equally monstrous bioload. Never tried keeping Octopus before, though I’ve caught them before too. But that was ages ago, before I got into the saltwater tank hobby

Well maybe the common species found in singapore? The white grey ones to be specific, saw quite alot at changi during the tide and thought they might be somewhere in the pet trade, but these species grow large so what species would you recommend for a nano?
Thxs

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Well maybe the common species found in singapore? The white grey ones to be specific, saw quite alot at changi during the tide and thought they might be somewhere in the pet trade, but these species grow large so what species would you recommend for a nano?
Thxs

• SRC Member

Thxs

• SRC Member

Well maybe the common species found in singapore? The white grey ones to be specific, saw quite alot at changi during the tide and thought they might be somewhere in the pet trade, but these species grow large(i even saw one about the size of a adult pillow during the tide ) so what species would you recommend for a nano?
Thxs

• SRC Member

Well maybe the common species found in singapore? The white grey ones to be specific, saw quite alot at changi during the tide and thought they might be somewhere in the pet trade, but these species grow large(i even saw one about the size of a adult pillow during the tide ) so what species would you recommend for a nano?
Thxs

• SRC Member

Thxs

• SRC Member

Thxs

• SRC Member

Thxs

• SRC Member
Thxs

From what I’ve read and seen on other forums and articles on keeping cuttlefish in captivity, dwarf cuttlefish(sepia bandensis) are among the few that are ok for nano tanks. But like you said they are rarely shipped here, and they can’t exactly be found in local waters. The species I’ve had most success with among 2 ones you can find locally is sepia recurvirostra, aka the curvespine cuttlefish. Not as mobile as the glittering cuttlefish(sepiella inermis), which tends to bump into the walls of your tank when propelling itself backward and injuring its back.

This was my curvespine cuttlefish before he became calamari rings. They grow to a max of about 17cm. IMG_1008.JPG

• SRC Member
As funny it may sound, I've seen them at Jurong fishery port (alive). But sizes may not be ideal for you

Ideal for the dinnertable maybe

• SRC Member
Go to punggol end and fish for one. I tried keeping one. It will hide in the sand. Unfortunately it also ate my clowns. Cheap clowns anyways. I took it out and froze it and used it as fishing bait on my next trip. Caught a snapper. Circle of life closed.

Yeah, note to OP: don’t try keeping them with fishes unless you don’t mind them being lunch or stressing your cuttlefish m/octopus out until it dies of stress haha. Most species hide in the sand, but some completely bury themselves only exposing their eyes. Others just pretend to be rocks, coral, or seaweed

• SRC Member

Yeah, note to OP: don’t try keeping them with fishes unless you don’t mind them being lunch or stressing your cuttlefish m/octopus out until it dies of stress haha. Most species hide in the sand, but some completely bury themselves only exposing their eyes. Others just pretend to be rocks, coral, or seaweed

They can be such a good Hunter and have impressive camouflaging capability I almost couldn't make it out when it's hiding in the sand.

• SRC Member
They can be such a good Hunter and have impressive camouflaging capability I almost couldn't make it out when it's hiding in the sand.

Yup. Watching them hunt live prey is the most interesting thing about keeping cuttlefishes to me. Among the 2 common species along our northern shores, I’ve observed that glittering cuttlefish(sepiella inermis) bury their whole body in the sand when they hide, and rely less on changing their colours and bodily textures to camouflage with their immediate surroundings, which curvespine cuttlefish(sepia recurvirostra) do. I like the latter better. They hide in plain sight and really camouflage so well without needing to dig in the sand even.

• SRC Member
Okay i just got a mimic octo for like 30 dollar, it is cheap as it is dying already but, the head is still changing texture(yes octo do dat) so im wondering if it will be okay as the rest of the body is not moving plus the head looked like it shrinked.

Generally cephalopods have short lifespans of 1-2 year’s. In captivity if you get one that’s pretty large already it’s lifespan is even more limited so it’s not very surprising.