Static shock?

Jidan

• SRC Member

Im so frustrated now, im looking over the internet for reasons why i feel static shocks everytime i dip my finger into the water. Its like a tingling sensation that goes away if i leave my finger in there. If i remove my finger and touch it again, i feel that tingling sensation again. I tried removing plugs 1 by 1 but i still feel it unless i remove everything. I triwd changing my multi power plug, changing powerpoints i use. Still no avail. Im so lost now...

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Im so frustrated now, im looking over the internet for reasons why i feel static shocks everytime i dip my finger into the water. Its like a tingling sensation that goes away if i leave my finger in there. If i remove my finger and touch it again, i feel that tingling sensation again. I tried removing plugs 1 by 1 but i still feel it unless i remove everything. I triwd changing my multi power plug, changing powerpoints i use. Still no avail. Im so lost now...

Then the culprit is the last thing you removed from the multi socket. In any case, as a precaution, wear rubber slippers whenever you place your hand in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
Then the culprit is the last thing you removed from the multi socket. In any case, as a precaution, wear rubber slippers whenever you place your hand in the tank.

I also thought so but when i removed it first i still have it. I tried everything in every sequence. Unless everything spoilt which is highly unlikely...

• SRC Member
I also thought so but when i removed it first i still have it. I tried everything in every sequence. Unless everything spoilt which is highly unlikely...

Just a guess, but it could be that it has nothing to do with an electrical current/static/shock, but the chemicals produced by whatever might be in the tank at that point in various concentrations that produce toxins that react with your skin. Happens to me occasionally too. Usually when I have cuts or bruises on my finger or even just a hangnail

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I also got static shock sometime.

Very long ago was a chiller. Was newly bought and I took back to shop exchanged. The exchanged chiller I been using for 10 years not yet spoil.

The other time got static shock, is a motor.

Recently I got static shock again, now ok. I think because my multi-plug bit wet.

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, Jidan said:

hi bro, you can install a grounding probe in your tank.

• SRC Member
hi bro, you can install a grounding probe in your tank.
Installing a grounding probe creates an electrical path that might shock the livestock.

• SRC Member
Installing a grounding probe creates an electrical path that might shock the livestock.

It won't shock the livestock. That's the whole point of install the grounding probe.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
It won't shock the livestock. That's the whole point of install the grounding probe.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

When you your hand in the tank and can feel a slight shock. That's stray voltage. Overtime this can affect the livestock

• SRC Member
I found the main source of the shock, when the chiller is plugged in. I have 3 sicce pumps, whenever there is 2 or more sicce pumps turned on i still feel a little.

Im so tired i feel like giving up on this hobby. This amount of bull is making me really fatigued. I moved the pumps to a pail and tried but its fine. Wtf is going on.

• SRC Supporter

A similar topic was brought up in this forum about 2 years ago. Assume that there is no single device as the root cause of the leak but when several are turned on together, a voltage is generated via induction of several coils close to each other.

Informative page/video on measuring stray voltage instead of using your hand : http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2182599

Its a common issue as many AC pumps are 2 pins & not grounded.

Options would be to  (1) change the pumps to DC pumps or (2) install a titanium ground probe. My personal preference is (2) - ground probe.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
A similar topic was brought up in this forum about 2 years ago. Assume that there is no single device as the root cause of the leak but when several are turned on together, a voltage is generated via induction of several coils close to each other.
Informative page/video on measuring stray voltage instead of using your hand : http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2182599

Its a common issue as many AC pumps are 2 pins & not grounded.
Options would be to  (1) change the pumps to DC pumps or (2) install a titanium ground probe. My personal preference is (2) - ground probe.

I have read somewhere that installing a ground probe creates a closed circuit that current can flow through which can be bad for the livestock, there are 2 camps to installing a groundprobe and im still not sure. The theory of induced voltage generated when several coils are together is likely and i would try it today. The shock gets stronger when i turn on all 3 pumps and because my sump is small the pumps are really near each other. However this is based on feel and i will be getting a multimeter to test for sure(got a cheap multimeter yesterday because i couldnt find a good one yesterday and it broke.) If changing the pumps doesnt work then groundprobe would be my last resort. Will post the results this week. Thanks!

• SRC Supporter

The negative comments about having a ground probe is mostly about a system that is grounded but not having RCD breaker. This is quite dangerous. 

All households in SGP have RCD circuit breakers. (in US forums, its is referred to as GFCI breakers).

Some kiasu reefers like me have additional RCD circuit breakers installed at the tank cabinet.

Having a ground probe is to protect yourself. When there is a surge, the RCD will trip. 

• Like 1

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
Try not to install any thing to take out shock as it is not 100% cure problem just find which item cause the shock is the best way out

I used a multimeter to test and the reading i have was 0.1v for every equipment, whether i plug in or out 1 by 1.

• SRC Member
The negative comments about having a ground probe is mostly about a system that is grounded but not having RCD breaker. This is quite dangerous. 

All households in SGP have RCD circuit breakers. (in US forums, its is referred to as GFCI breakers).
Some kiasu reefers like me have additional RCD circuit breakers installed at the tank cabinet.
Having a ground probe is to protect yourself. When there is a surge, the RCD will trip. 

May i know where does your ground probe connect to? 1 to sump and the other? Do i need extra equipments other the ground probe im going to buy? I bobian liao tried everything alr. Laosai...