Cuttlefish it is then...

NubReefer

• SRC Member

So for anyone that see my previous post on this forum, i have been on a quest to find octopus and cuttlefish, i did got one mimic octopus but it died due to age, but today i have a good news, i got a pair of cuttlefish for 30$, the cuttlefish is similar to soggycookies's cuttlefish, i have chosen the smallest of all the cuttlefish, so it dont die so quickly again, but even i control the ageing, i could also use some adivce. Anyone who is kind enough to share your knowledge with this magnificent(yet small)

Cuttlefish? Thanks in advance

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

So for anyone that see my previous post on this forum, i have been on a quest to find octopus and cuttlefish, i did got one mimic octopus but it died due to age, but today i have a good news, i got a pair of cuttlefish for 30$, the cuttlefish is similar to soggycookies's cuttlefish, i have chosen the smallest of all the cuttlefish, so it dont die so quickly again, but even i control the ageing, i could also use some adivce. Anyone who is kind enough to share your knowledge with this magnificent(yet small)
Cuttlefish? Thanks in advance

Can show photo?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Okay quick update, things have gone to hell. For the past few days the cuttlefish is okay but today the filter broke down an one of them died, the other is still alive but acting strange and the fish is picking on him( just started today) and i am preparing a new tank, but you know...tank cycling... so i made a temporal holding place for the cuttlefish, the tank is a plastic tank and it is extremly small... and im not sure. The new tank is under cycling and if the tank size is like animal abuse to you, im sorry. I dont have any choice left. If you have advice to me, please tell me. Thanks! P.s the tank is not filled yet1521985561165.jpg1521985586750.jpg

• SRC Member
Okay quick update, things have gone to hell. For the past few days the cuttlefish is okay but today the filter broke down an one of them died, the other is still alive but acting strange and the fish is picking on him( just started today) and i am preparing a new tank, but you know...tank cycling... so i made a temporal holding place for the cuttlefish, the tank is a plastic tank and it is extremly small... and im not sure. The new tank is under cycling and if the tank size is like animal abuse to you, im sorry. I dont have any choice left. If you have advice to me, please tell me. Thanks! P.s the tank is not filled yet1521985561165.thumb.jpg.ec40296ec0945b3b47930ef80e528766.jpg1521985586750.thumb.jpg.12ac5770b8ac98138b5fb973be44c387.jpg 

Fish and cephalopods like cuttlefish don’t mix well bro. Usually either the fish become its dinner or the fish stress them out until they die. Multiple cuttlefish together is also a gamble, unless you have a large system. Also in smaller systems, if they ink you have to do a water change quickly as even a good protein Skimmer will struggle to remove the ink in a small system. They will suffocate in their own discharge otherwise

• SRC Member
Fish and cephalopods like cuttlefish don’t mix well bro. Usually either the fish become its dinner or the fish stress them out until they die. Multiple cuttlefish together is also a gamble, unless you have a large system. Also in smaller systems, if they ink you have to do a water change quickly as even a good protein Skimmer will struggle to remove the ink in a small system. They will suffocate in their own discharge otherwise  

Should i be wary about water parameter?
Like salinity as i heared cuttlefish need water nearly same paras as the water they are in now...

• SRC Member

Like salinity as i heared cuttlefish need water nearly same paras as the water they are in now...

• SRC Member

• SRC Member

• SRC Member

Just drip-acclimate like you would other fish before putting them in. Cuttlefish are very sensitive to copper as well so make sure if you’re treating your fish don’t share the same water

• SRC Supporter

it is very hard to tell as far as i know their physiological sex characteristics of the squid are completely internal, males are generaly larger in size compare to female. 

Hope it helps