Sirius' Rimless Shallow Mixed Reef

nuclear_fibre

• SRC Member
Sad to hear about the fish situation.
I really wonder if there are ways to prevent it. Feed some supplements to boost immunity or provide the necessary pro-biotic bacteria needed?

I’m not really sure Leon, but I suppose they would have made a difference if I had taken steps to boost its health. I’m not really someone who takes much care into adding supplements etc so I guess my care for my fishes are inadequate. Will see how I can improve on this aspect from here on.

Saw your post on how u prepare your own fish feed from fresh ingredients and I’m impressed

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Yes bro haha u already know... my acropora were all infected with aefw and also another dreaded pest... apparently known as black bugs

1CAA4A30-7F1A-49DE-83CC-353D79E5A9BE.thumb.jpg.30d20d159a3760263083bb0727d642cb.jpg

These pests decimated my Acro week after week before I decided I had enough and removed all acropora from my tank. Fortunately I had the privilege of being able to hold all the surviving ones in a fellow Reefer friend’s QT and have been doing weekly dips to remove these pests.

The plan is to do this for about 5 weeks or so. The hope is that leaving my tank barren of acro would starve and kill these aefw and black bugs while the weekly dips would also kill any aefw eggs that were not removed and have hatched. Gotta start from scratch and suffer the losses from this weekly stressing.

Stark reminder on the importance of proper quarantine, inspection and dipping whenever introducing new corals into the tank.

Black bug??? Maybe you can share some tips on how to look out for if the sps are affected..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
Black bug??? Maybe you can share some tips on how to look out for if the sps are affected..

Hi Soleh, I’m not very experienced with black bugs myself either but from my observations based on the acropora they had decimated, it seems the easiest telltale sign is when u realise the base of your acro starts to die and turn white. It may seem like a STN issue but then on close look u will notice these black little dots on the acro. They remain static black dots until u place the acro in a dip and suddenly all comes alive and start moving about.

For a clearer pic of how they look like so u may identify them, refer to the previous photo i uploaded.

Hope this helps!

• SRC Member

Anyway here’s an update on my reef tank on the aefw and black bug situation:

We have been doing weekly dips on all the acro and as of 2-3 weeks ago the dips have come out clean with no eggs or aefw or black bugs. With this weekly stressing, i estimate I have lost about 2/3 of my acropora, as what started with about 3 pails worth of acro is now only about 1 and 1/3 pail remaining. And mostly brown sticks they look so boring.

One thing I learnt is that prevention is better than cure and the pain has been so real i almost wanted to give up. I think another episode of this and I’m going acro-less for my tank already.

Nevertheless, I will be bringing my acro back home from the QT next weekend! Looking forward to it along with a minor rescape!

• SRC Member

Also, today I received my orders from Amazon.

IMG_8824.JPG

Now I’m ready for some serious potential fragging!

IMG_8825.JPG

The frag rack seems like a glorified egg crate frag rack but it’s made with some special material and apparently the magnet is some super strong metal too. Add the sleek design and the fact it’s made in the USA and it costs about $60

• SRC Member

Hi Soleh, I’m not very experienced with black bugs myself either but from my observations based on the acropora they had decimated, it seems the easiest telltale sign is when u realise the base of your acro starts to die and turn white. It may seem like a STN issue but then on close look u will notice these black little dots on the acro. They remain static black dots until u place the acro in a dip and suddenly all comes alive and start moving about.

For a clearer pic of how they look like so u may identify them, refer to the previous photo i uploaded.

Hope this helps!

Its nice to see reefer can give tips and heads up for other reefers to be vigilant.. keep it up.. Appreciate it.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Anyway I found some time to finally hook up new lights for my tank yesterday after they had been sitting in the kitchen for almost two months.

EC435C8F-9B3D-4DA7-875D-EC3649DC8CAD.jpg

Hooking up the lighting on my Giesemann Stellar, removing the wiring and Hydra lights was time consuming but easy.

IMG_3354.JPG
However connecting and configuring the radions on the WXM module of the apex was rocket science to me.

Lucky I had super help from jemlim for this. Really appreciate it

Last picture of the hydras before it was taken down.

IMG_3355.JPG

• SRC Member

Some sps pictures.

Strawberry Shortcake
BEF72A31-5628-4A8C-AA3F-18426279BF20.jpg

Multi coloured Tenuis. Blue body with pink coralite growths and green polyps.
IMG_3285.JPG

Cherry Blossom: One of my colonies that survived aefw and black bugs, followed by multiple dippings last year.
IMG_3287.JPG

Cyphastrea Decadia. Hope I got the ID correct else all the gurus here pls correct me.
IMG_3295.JPG

Very nice collection, hee time to pay you a visit. =p

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member
Very nice collection, hee time to pay you a visit. =p

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments. I think there are many nice tanks in Singapore but not many are sharing that’s all.

I’m usually lazy to take pictures but occasionally when I dip my hands wet with the camera that’s when I have some updates. Just wished there was a SRC photographer to take nice pictures for our tanks maybe for a small fee

Very nice collection.

• Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• 3 months later...