35cm Cube Ocean

stormrider

Sharing my piece of  6 months old ocean  (Family photo) for comments and improvement.

I might be overstocking with fish and still wish to put more corals with that limited space.

SPS may be too difficult for such nano tank?

Nitrate and phosphate had been fluctuating, and hard to bring them down.

Currently my water parameters (7 days water change period):-

Temp: 25~27⁰C ; Ammonia: 0 ; Nitrate : 5 ; Phosphate : 0.075 ; Calcium : 400 ;  Alkaline : 7 ; Salinity : 1.021 (dosing iodine and reef carbonate only.)

Current Setup with Marine biosphere ; chaeto at the back with a 6w Grow LED light (24hours period) ; main led light (10 hours), 1 x air pump, 2 x return pumps, 1 x thermoelectric chiller.

IMG_5922.JPG

• SRC Member

Based on the pic, looks like 10 fishes in a 10g tank? That’s definitely a crowd... how are the fishes doing? There tends to be some degree of aggression when they are in such close quarters

12 hours ago, stormrider said:

hi uask4it

my thermo chiller is set at 24.7 and its just run 24/7 and it will depends on room temperature to cool the tank

Thanks for the reply.

11 hours ago, stormrider said:

Hi JMW

yeah they tends to fight... tear a few fins initially. After a few weeks kinda settle down. When i see them fight, i just throw in some food :)

Like.

Hi, often i find some transparent slime floating around the tank.

When scoop it out, it look like egg york. 

Does anyone have them and any idea how it came about and what it is? 

Some advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

093C691C-8754-4FB3-90C4-E873C0C41E6F.jpeg

AA1A12AC-F6D7-43AE-ABCF-3C08618CE77C.jpeg

1B470E84-7755-4E2F-8A07-CF520FC253A5.jpeg

Hi, often i find some transparent slime floating around the tank.
When scoop it out, it look like egg york. 
Does anyone have them and any idea how it came about and what it is? 
Some advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
093C691C-8754-4FB3-90C4-E873C0C41E6F.thumb.jpeg.7352c6c87de33eb6eac3958dc8603c94.jpeg
AA1A12AC-F6D7-43AE-ABCF-3C08618CE77C.thumb.jpeg.6f6671e5c8a0a4d182bb757569abcc11.jpeg
1B470E84-7755-4E2F-8A07-CF520FC253A5.thumb.jpeg.117865ee8daa7be3677c762cd29fba50.jpeg

Hello do u have any corals? Might be released from corals after eating

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
52 minutes ago, stormrider said:

New addition today.

Not sure what type of Zoa I had bought. Can some kind soul help to ID it and advice what it needs for care and prosperity?

F428AEB6-AEC1-4383-BF0C-6881F627862D.jpeg

1710C34D-66BC-4604-9C89-0CC9AABA174B.jpeg

Looks like magician zoas. Care levels typical of zoas - abit of nutrients will be beneficial 

8 minutes ago, JMW said:

Zoas don’t need target feeding, the waste generated by the rest of your livestock would provide nutrients 

Cool! Thanks.

One question.

i will like to defrag it and place on the rocks. I had not done this before.

LFS told me i could just pluck it out and superglue to the rocks. How to pluck? It’s so small, and seems like my fat fingers could destroy the zoa during the progress.

• SRC Member

Would advise against plucking, like you said, that could harm the zoa. From your pic, it seems like there’s a space between the frag plug & zoas, you can try to slit a penknife underneath & try to wedge it up. Try not to damage the zoas in the process.  If you have to cut into tissue,  cut as close as to the frag plug as possible so that you don’t damage the stolon or zoas polyp. Also, if you just got the frag today, suggest to frag it after a day or two after it has settled in your tank

16 minutes ago, JMW said:

Would advise against plucking, like you said, that could harm the zoa. From your pic, it seems like there’s a space between the frag plug & zoas, you can try to slit a penknife underneath & try to wedge it up. Try not to damage the zoas in the process.  If you have to cut into tissue,  cut as close as to the frag plug as possible so that you don’t damage the stolon or zoas polyp. Also, if you just got the frag today, suggest to frag it after a day or two after it has settled in your tank

Cool! I will try to defrag it probably 2 weeks later.

thanks for your advise.

8 hours ago, Komerider said:

Actually u can just cut the stem off any frag plug then glue the entire thing on the rock. Then just glue the edges to round them onto the rock so that zoa's can grow off the plug.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Hi Komerider,

hopefully my zoa will show alittle growth in 2 weeks. If it does show new head around the frags, then i might leave it on the plug. Thank you.

I read some articles that Zoa are slow growing corals, any idea how slow? Is 2 weeks enough to expect some growth or it will required months?