DIY Sump Tank

nyxnhh

• SRC Member

Hi fellow hobbyists, 

I am very new to the marine tank set up. Currently running a seahorse only species tank with 2 canisters filter at each end for filtration.

I have another FW tank which i intend to convert into a sump that will serve the seahorse tank but i am still kinda confused on the proper compartmentalization of the sump tank which i hope to include a refugium.

Below is a draft sketch of the sump tank i intend to set up. 

Can fellow hobbyist provide some inputs/alterations as to where i should change or improve upon?

Also, how do i know what pump size i should get for the tank?

My DT tank is 126cm x 23cm x 38cm(height) with water volume of about 90 to 92 litres only.

Intended sump tank dimension is 88cm x 17cm x 23cm (height)

Hoping to get some valuable inputs. TIA

20180523_164559.thumb.jpg.4e42e6b33730d1ae05d62ee55d7fd42b.jpg

Hi fellow hobbyists, 
I am very new to the marine tank set up. Currently running a seahorse only species tank with 2 canisters filter at each end for filtration.
I have another FW tank which i intend to convert into a sump that will serve the seahorse tank but i am still kinda confused on the proper compartmentalization of the sump tank which i hope to include a refugium.
Below is a draft sketch of the sump tank i intend to set up. 
Can fellow hobbyist provide some inputs/alterations as to where i should change or improve upon?
Also, how do i know what pump size i should get for the tank?
My DT tank is 126cm x 23cm x 38cm(height) with water volume of about 90 to 92 litres only.
Intended sump tank dimension is 88cm x 17cm x 23cm (height)
Hoping to get some valuable inputs. TIA
20180523_164559.thumb.jpg.4e42e6b33730d1ae05d62ee55d7fd42b.jpg
Hi, i am also looking to custom build a new tank and sump. The config for my current sump is, 1) filter socks 2) marine pure blocks 3) skimmer 4) refugium 5) return pump

Prefer to have the refugium after skimmer so that the max no of pods can survive theyr way into the display tank.

Also prefer to add marine pure blocks instead of live rocks to sump as they have much more surface area for bacteria.

Ofcourse this is just how i do it, doesnt mean its the right way or the only way. I am still learning a lot in this hobby

I also have a UV, couple of media reactors and a chiller plumbed to the sump. Very messy setup and thus i want to custom build a new sump.

Messy sump is a headache when it comes to maintenance
Hope that helps!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
7 hours ago, ramvenga85 said:

Hi, i am also looking to custom build a new tank and sump. The config for my current sump is, 1) filter socks 2) marine pure blocks 3) skimmer 4) refugium 5) return pump

Prefer to have the refugium after skimmer so that the max no of pods can survive theyr way into the display tank.

Also prefer to add marine pure blocks instead of live rocks to sump as they have much more surface area for bacteria.

Ofcourse this is just how i do it, doesnt mean its the right way or the only way. I am still learning a lot in this hobby emoji1.png

I also have a UV, couple of media reactors and a chiller plumbed to the sump. Very messy setup and thus i want to custom build a new sump.

Messy sump is a headache when it comes to maintenanceemoji28.png
Hope that helps!

you have 5 compartments? how big is ur sump tank?

how are you going to calculate the size of the pump u will be getting?

U mean the return pump? I am using a DC pump, so i can adjust the flow. Some wud prefer high flow while others prefer low flow. I prefer flow to be arnd 3 to 5 times the volume of the tank, per hour. Must always get a higher capacity pump cos there will be loses to the flow in the pipings (e.g. 90 degree turns will have flow loses).
Having said that, I usually get recommended 10 times the volume of the tank, per hour when buying pumps.

U mean the return pump? I am using a DC pump, so i can adjust the flow. Some wud prefer high flow while others prefer low flow. I prefer flow to be arnd 3 to 5 times the volume of the tank, per hour. Must always get a higher capacity pump cos there will be loses to the flow in the pipings (e.g. 90 degree turns will have flow loses).
Having said that, I usually get recommended 10 times the volume of the tank, per hour when buying pumps.

So if your plumbing has a lot of turns, better to get a more powerful pump.

• 7 months later...