Kessil A160WE Blue Tuna and Controller

stormrider

Hi Reefers,

I dont have experience with high performance LED for aquarium, so seeking any advice here.

Can share with me how good is Kessil A160WE Tuna and its controller? Quality/ Maintenance / Suitability for SPS?

What is the warranty if buying a new set from LFS, 1 year?

If LED burnt out, where can i get it repair and how much is the such repair? 

Controllers, does it have connectivity to wifi? 

Is there any other light you guys will recommend if we put budget aside?

• SRC Member

I saw the review by BRS TV, par output wasnt ideal.

I won’t recommend for SPS due to spread issue as it is a single source LED.

Warranty wise, i guess local support is via FNM? Not very sure cause i don’t know which distro is carrying this.

You can consider shopping at ecocityhydrophic or something, there was once the prices offered there is better. Can google to find out more.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

May I ask how big is ur tank. Was in the same dilemma not too long ago. As mentioned, If you intend to keep sps. Minimal is the 360. Kessil u need a external controller if u want to save settings and set timer. With the AI HDs, u can use ur phone app. Which to me is a big plus. Nevertheless, both are great lights. Really depends on ur personal presence. 

• SRC Member

Ai prime are decent.

However difference between HD and non HD are

1) built in wifi capability

2) overdrive LED

If you are buying one set only, granted for this wireless function, if not you are effectively paying for additional wireless function which you don’t neef if you are buying 2 or more fixture. Which is why Orphek and Radion (and other brand) doesnt have onboard wifi to minimise cost which would transfer to the customer. Theirs are all external controller to control them. So i feel that this is a major step backwards by Aqua Illumination

And for the overdrive LED part, i don’t know about other ppl, but i wouldnt overdrive my LED, heck, i wouldnt even go beyond 80%. I strongly believe by overdriving them, they are subjecting them to premature failure.

So to me, thats why i opted for 4 hydra52 non HD instead of HD. Of course, if you like the bells and whistle of a newer unit. By all means. But to me, nono, hydra52 would suffice.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

I believe the primes are no longer in production. Probably those you can find on shelf are the left overs. Besides, the prime hd isnt too expensive. If you are planning for future upgrades a 26hd maybe a better option.

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/06/14/ai-prime-hd/

Iirc, the prime hd have additional led bulbs and 1 or 2 different colour bulbs as well.

• Like 1

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for the advises / recommendation.

I managed to get hold of a good price for 2nd hand Radion XR15 pro Gen3 + RMS from a fellow sgreefclub whom had decomm a 2ft tank. I saw good reviews on this brand and BSTV had many good video on its performance. Too bad it does not have a built-in wireless control.

On 5/31/2018 at 11:43 PM, Jeebusai said:

May I ask how big is ur tank. Was in the same dilemma not too long ago. As mentioned, If you intend to keep sps. Minimal is the 360. Kessil u need a external controller if u want to save settings and set timer. With the AI HDs, u can use ur phone app. Which to me is a big plus. Nevertheless, both are great lights. Really depends on ur personal presence. 

Mine is a nano 10G tank :P

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, stormrider said:

Thank you all for the advises / recommendation.

I managed to get hold of a good price for 2nd hand Radion XR15 pro Gen3 + RMS from a fellow sgreefclub whom had decomm a 2ft tank. I saw good reviews on this brand and BSTV had many good video on its performance. Too bad it does not have a built-in wireless control.

Mine is a nano 10G tank :P

Congrats on the Radion Light. The bro was selling at a good price too. U can set up via desktop though. Turn Up the light slowly, Radions can be an overkill for a start lighting a 10G, especially if have softies only. 

Yup, a nice fellow too that take an effort to walk me through on simple setup of the light.

Any recommendation on the light setting? I am running on 40% intensity with coral growth template from 10am to 10pm. I am not sure if it’s an overkill for a nano with 2 softies and zoa.

• SRC Member
3 hours ago, stormrider said:

Yup, a nice fellow too that take an effort to walk me through on simple setup of the light.

Any recommendation on the light setting? I am running on 40% intensity with coral growth template from 10am to 10pm. I am not sure if it’s an overkill for a nano with 2 softies and zoa.

They have presets on the eco tech website. U can also search for some YouTube vids. Good to start lower. Later Chao Tah lol

ReefWholesale_CoralLab.pdf