Change water

• SRC Member

Just now I measure my QT tank water and realised that the ammonia suddenly spike to 1.2ppm(2 days ago is 0ppm) so immediately I did a 50% water change.

After the water change I realised that the fish is kind of stress, not sure is because of the water change process or parameter change. Before I do the water change the fish look perfectly fine and keep wanted to eat.

so i wonder next time if ammonia spike again should I still do water change regardless whether the fish look perfectly ok or I just wait for the ammonia to reduce itself?

• SRC Member

All my fish nearly die the next day after changing water.

The fish start to shown symptoms that are similar to velvet/brooklynella so I went ahead to dose copper into the tank and next moment all the fish went crazy and start to over turn :(

So I removed them from the QT tank to a small plastic tank and added my newly brought air pump into it while I change the water in my QT tank.

Surprisingly the fish start to turn better and back to normal. :D

At the moment then I realized that it should be because of the stress during water change their immunity drop and reacted to my low PH and low oxygen issue in my QT tank.

I should be consider lucky that I brought the pump at the right time to save myself from this disaster.

Lesson learnt,

1) don't kan chiong measure the parameter 1st before decide what to do next

2) don't do anything drastic to the tank if the fish look normal and eating good... stability is above all so call guideline...

• Admin

Thanks for sharing, so that others wouldn't fall into the same trap of being " Kan chiong" ... haha