New to the marine side of things!

I am using marine pure spheres. It may take 1-2 months to be effective so have to put them during cycling.
Not much maintenance only shake them off debris with tank water during water change. There are a few well known brands in the market but i have not use them.
Bef marine pure, think one of the hot selling is biohome.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
12 minutes ago, stormrider said:

If budget allows, i do recommend marine pure etc as more crushed corals (heavy)to be equivalent to a block which is lighter and  surface area.

Can I hijack? LOL. I’m using both biohome and siporax. Still have space for media. What would you recommend. My main aim is to bring nitrates down. Not so keen on reactors due to space constraints. Thanks 

• SRC Supporter

You can consider Maxpect BioSphere bio media. Google it for more information.

Its way cheaper than Siporax & more lasting than Biohome.

In fact, you can start cycling the bio media right now - Just need a large bucket or tub + small pump to circulate the water. Can be done before your tank arrives. This can help build up the beneficial bacteria population on the media.

• Thanks 1

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter
On 23/06/2018 at 3:43 PM, acodestny said:

I see... for myself I shortlisted this tank setup

1. 3x2x2 tank with triton ready sump
2. 4x2x2 cabinet to fit in chiller inside
3. Heliea chiller
4. Orhpek led lights
5. 5000l return pump
6. Crushed coral sand
7. Live rocks
8. T valve for PO4 and chiller
9. 110SS reef octopus skimmer
10. Filter media - crushed corals, carbon, cotton

For rocks, a recommendation is to start with dead rocks (bleached & cleaned) or with good quality artificial rocks. Avoids the live rock risk of pests like bobbit worms & crabs.

Do consider warranty support for your lights. Any equipment can spoil & its important to have quick local support. AI Hydra or Radions are good lights & well supported locally. 

You'll probably need to add wavemaker to the list.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

4 hours ago, Jeebusai said:

Can I hijack? LOL. I’m using both biohome and siporax. Still have space for media. What would you recommend. My main aim is to bring nitrates down. Not so keen on reactors due to space constraints. Thanks 

Marine pure spheres works well for me. Some LFS sell them in pieces, e.g. one small piece $2~3 per one small cube or sphere. It is not an immediate solution as cultivating bacteria may take some time. Increase the cube or spheres when bioload increases.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

After Long time planning and thanks to bros like Solo and Van, I am approaching to be ready to cycle my tank.

Due to some reason, my plan was dealt a near death blow but is thankful that there are bros like them helping me! You guys are the reason I can still go ahead with my tank!

Got a second hand 3x2x1.5 tank and going to collect parts of my equipment tonight, collecting the rest from Solo bro in a week or two’s time.

Tonight will be initial set up and will be doing some minor configuration to my sump inlet with help of Van.

More updates to come :)

D30645E3-90D3-4258-9659-9E2C36E1A77B.jpgEA509010-D803-459C-B42C-60267951731F.jpg

• SRC Member

After Long time planning and thanks to bros like Solo and Van, I am approaching to be ready to cycle my tank.

Due to some reason, my plan was dealt a near death blow but is thankful that there are bros like them helping me! You guys are the reason I can still go ahead with my tank!

Got a second hand 3x2x1.5 tank and going to collect parts of my equipment tonight, collecting the rest from Solo bro in a week or two’s time.

Tonight will be initial set up and will be doing some minor configuration to my sump inlet with help of Van.

D30645E3-90D3-4258-9659-9E2C36E1A77B.jpgEA509010-D803-459C-B42C-60267951731F.jpg

• SRC Member

• SRC Member

• SRC Member
On 6/23/2018 at 3:43 PM, acodestny said:

I see... for myself I shortlisted this tank setup

1. 3x2x2 tank with triton ready sump
2. 4x2x2 cabinet to fit in chiller inside
3. Heliea chiller
4. Orhpek led lights
5. 5000l return pump
6. Crushed coral sand
7. Live rocks
8. T valve for PO4 and chiller
9. 110SS reef octopus skimmer
10. Filter media - crushed corals, carbon, cotton

Crush corals as filter media might trap detritus. have you use it before? thats why you going bback to it?

• SRC Member

I feel that be it crushed corals, or commercial filter media such as marinepure, siporax, etc can also have the potential to trap detritus. The one important thing to do is to have tank water flowing thru filter wool upstream of your filter media, to reduce detritus buildup 

• SRC Member

Set up Part 1!
A visit to Pasir Ris farmway... collected some basic stuff and started the set up!

For the time being, the sump is not used yet as I am still pending to collect my biohome, wavemakers, chillers from Solo bro! Also, with the help of another bro, added another compartment to hold filter pads...and need to leave the sump to dry.

Main tank
Loaded the tank with water, used dechlorine, add the salt, den lastly add the sand....used a small pump to circulate the tank without the sump.

Left the water to clear for two days, I threw in my marine pure block to start Cycling...

Till the next part....to set up the sump hahaa

IMG_0060.JPGIMG_0061.JPGIMG_0063.JPGIMG_0064.JPGIMG_0066.JPGIMG_0074.JPG

• SRC Member

Part 2 & 3

After Cycling the display for a week, lots have happened...
Van bro as usual, bring a great bro and staying nearby have assisted a lot in reworking a lot of stuff.. collected my other equipment less wavemaker from another absolutely awesome bro, Solo! Spent two hours at his home learnt so much abt piping etc from him!

Reached home, hooked up the chiller and did my rockscape! And continue Cycling my tank goes! Next part will be doing some more minor piping works and adding my wavemakers!

8c0619c6-63be-49c1-9537-ec039056a40a.jpgFB92F262-BDF5-4E47-8EA5-8A63F3DFC24D.jpgFB92F262-BDF5-4E47-8EA5-8A63F3DFC24D.jpg

• SRC Member

Haha, had a mini flood...forgot to clip the pipe on the new rubber pipe to the chiller, was running water thru the chiller without turning it on... just cleared the flood hahaa.... turn off the pump and temporarily not running it till I fully secure it lol! What a start

Good progress.

What equipments you need depend on the system you choose to run.

Happy Reefing

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Part 4...

After the flooding, my tank experienced a mini nitrate spike as I switched off some equipments, with the assistance of Van bro, we reworked the piping and set up the chillers. Took us a good 3hours, and thks to his experience, managed to get some flood/leak proofing done.

Got the tank up and running and I dosed another batch of bacteria into the tank and added some more mini live rocks into the sump.

Currently, my display tank has a mixture of fake and live rocks. In my sump, I am using filter pads with crushed corals, one marinepure block, 500g of biohome, 1kg of carbon, live rocks and skimmer.

Changed from running one pump to running two separate pumps for chiller and return. Gona add my wavemakers to the set up this Sunday after collecting them from Solo bro.

Current tank inhibitants looks a lot happier...and hopefully after two or so months when my tank stablise, it will be time for me to add exciting corals and more demanding fishes. Currently have 4 little normal clown fish to occupy my tank haha
IMG_0212.JPG

Part 4...

After the flooding, my tank experienced a mini nitrate spike as I switched off some equipments, with the assistance of Van bro, we reworked the piping and set up the chillers. Took us a good 3hours, and thks to his experience, managed to get some flood/leak proofing done.

Got the tank up and running and I dosed another batch of bacteria into the tank and added some more mini live rocks into the sump.

Currently, my display tank has a mixture of fake and live rocks. In my sump, I am using filter pads with crushed corals, one marinepure block, 500g of biohome, 1kg of carbon, live rocks and skimmer.

Changed from running one pump to running two separate pumps for chiller and return. Gona add my wavemakers to the set up this Sunday after collecting them from Solo bro.

Current tank inhibitants looks a lot happier...and hopefully after two or so months when my tank stablise, it will be time for me to add exciting corals and more demanding fishes. Currently have 4 little normal clown fish to occupy my tank haha
IMG_0212.JPG.6906986013c9903ee70f876fc7f508ff.JPG

Mind to share why you split the return pump? For redundancy? Or is there too much resistance by your chiller?