The budget SPS tank

NeoReef

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, NeoReef said:

Hahaha okay la to be honest this tank setup itself cost me a lot a lot of money (every single thing add up to 8062.8!!) till the point where my allowance by itself cannot cover the entire cost . But it would have burnt a bigger hole in my pocket if i didnt source for ways to cut down the budget for the tank haha

As much as possible , i try to balance out reliability and effectiveness of the equipment with the cost of it . To be frank sometimes i dont know why people would spend 1k on just one lightset (hopefully i dont offend any radion fans) i understand that they are a tested and proven product but 1k is simple not justifiable . Like many other consumer products , i feel that most reefing items are expensive because of branding

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, NeoReef said:

As much as possible , i try to balance out reliability and effectiveness of the equipment with the cost of it . To be frank sometimes i dont know why people would spend 1k on just one lightset (hopefully i dont offend any radion fans) i understand that they are a tested and proven product but 1k is simple not justifiable . Like many other consumer products , i feel that most reefing items are expensive because of branding

Your tank looks amazing. The lights with the mounts look cool. Giving the big Brand’s a run for their $ lol.

i was using hydras and just changed to used set of radions. Will see if there’s actually any difference soon lol

• SRC Member

Finally... Managed to get my contractor to come down to drill the hole and Lin Lin from irwana to set up the compressor for the tank, whats left is just to plaster the wall back. This means i can finally start filling the tank with water and cycle the tank :rolleyes: 

931E68AE-24B4-46A0-BD8B-48625E1324C5.jpeg

623DACD4-091F-4E2A-9941-41915EEA15F4.jpeg

• SRC Member
Thts v expensive!!! Cant wait to c e end product!!!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

On 17/07/2018 at 12:25 AM, NeoReef said:

Hahaha okay la to be honest this tank setup itself cost me a lot a lot of money (every single thing add up to 8062.8!!) till the point where my allowance by itself cannot cover the entire cost . But it would have burnt a bigger hole in my pocket if i didnt source for ways to cut down the budget for the tank haha

A very well planned budget indeed. Looking forward to more pics.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Update for the week!

So before i booked out last week, i filled up the tank with RO/di and self mixed it with SKIMz PUR reef salt to hit a density of 1.025. Since the piping work and compressor has already been completed , i cycled the rocks in the tank (actually i have been cycling them in a large pail for close to 3 months prior) for a week with the intention to stabalized by the time im back , so that it can finally welcome its first inhabitant!! A yellow tang!! What shall i name it?

By the way these are the lights running solely on thw white chanels as i could’nt get a good picture with blues on

7DEEAD17-14DC-45F5-8EEE-080A65D1726F.jpeg

6472AF63-241A-4B20-A27B-7AD40633DF5A.jpeg

• SRC Member

The parameters for my tank are

Ph- 8.13 (Goal is 8.3)

temperature- 25.0-26.8

NH3- 0ppm

NO3- 5 to 10 (i cant really tell the difference with the salifert test kits)

Ca- 440 ppm

Alkalinity - 7.3 dkH

Mg- 1110 ppm

I am actually quite impressed with Caperplus ph and temp monitor , its very easy to use and it gives me a peace of heart being able to check if theres anything wrong with my tank (eg compressor or thermostat failing , or in the future if my ATO is dumping too much kalk solution into the tank) 

3D4A654D-C593-4E4F-BE11-58D32BF49D19.png

• SRC Member
13 hours ago, NeoReef said:

The parameters for my tank are

Ph- 8.13 (Goal is 8.3)

temperature- 25.0-26.8

NH3- 0ppm

NO3- 5 to 10 (i cant really tell the difference with the salifert test kits)

Ca- 440 ppm

Alkalinity - 7.3 dkH

Mg- 1110 ppm

I am actually quite impressed with Caperplus ph and temp monitor , its very easy to use and it gives me a peace of heart being able to check if theres anything wrong with my tank (eg compressor or thermostat failing , or in the future if my ATO is dumping too much kalk solution into the tank) 

3D4A654D-C593-4E4F-BE11-58D32BF49D19.png

Just a note bro. I’m also using caper plus. There’s a 0.1-0.2 difference between caper and PH test pens. More obvious for PH. For temperature the variance is smaller. Even when the probe is calibrated. 

So 8.3 on caper may be higher than actual.

This is confirmed with a few LFS which I’m not going to name. 

• SRC Member
13 hours ago, NeoReef said:

Right now the sump and control panel is super messy , will try to get the rectified over the weeks when i have the time :) 

3C109C52-4FBB-45EC-8907-48DC8450CA2F.jpeg

I actually think urs is easy to work with. U should see the new Red Sea sumps.... super cramped after they added the refugium. 

• SRC Member
On 30/07/2018 at 8:17 AM, Jeebusai said:

Just a note bro. I’m also using caper plus. There’s a 0.1-0.2 difference between caper and PH test pens. More obvious for PH. For temperature the variance is smaller. Even when the probe is calibrated. 

So 8.3 on caper may be higher than actual.

This is confirmed with a few LFS which I’m not going to name. 

woah , have the caperplus ph probe been properly calibrated? If so then i will only use it to check for fluctuations 

• SRC Member
6 minutes ago, NeoReef said:

woah , have the caperplus ph probe been properly calibrated? If so then i will only use it to check for fluctuations 

Yes bro calibrated many times. Checked with a few users and they said the same thing. It’s slightly off but not too much. I like the alert function though since I can’t afford apex.

Some bro said this : The price of an apex probe cost More than half of caper plus unit itself. What were you expecting on the accuracy lol. 

For the price and function. Can’t complain seriously. 

• SRC Supporter
Yes bro calibrated many times. Checked with a few users and they said the same thing. It’s slightly off but not too much. I like the alert function though since I can’t afford apex.
Some bro said this : The price of an apex probe cost More than half of caper plus unit itself. What were you expecting on the accuracy lol. 
For the price and function. Can’t complain seriously. 
Ya it's a value for money equipment to use it for monitor power failure ect..

• SRC Member
On 31/07/2018 at 11:48 AM, junhui.low said:

No Refugium? Would love to know how much did you send overall!

Haha i spent 8k on the entire set up from top to bottom including additives. I am getting an algae turf scrubber soon , trying to get vincent to create a box for me to run it . Ive done q a bt of research and the general consesnses is that algae turf scrubber are more efficient at removing nutrients than a refugium , what are all of your thoughts on this? 

• SRC Member
On 01/08/2018 at 8:59 AM, he said:

Ya it's a value for money equipment to use it for monitor power failure ect..

Yes agreed!! its value for money , as for precision wise , maybe ill change the probe to a better one since probes are universal right?