R3d Sn0w

Nick Liu

Hi Nick

Dominique here, happened to saw your tank thread only today as I hardly SRC these days.

Congrats, its a well thought minimalist setup. I saw that you are using bio-road as bacteria media and I used them as well for my Arowana pond but feel that they are not as porous or adequate enough for nutrient export in a marine setup which is especially important for setup like ours with little to no rocks. Initially tank may look fine but you may face constant high nitrate level once the tank ages especially so when you have fishes that produce lots of waste. Consider a area in sump with DSB or refugium if space allows.

If you are into reef setup, suggest to leave the surgeon fish out and you will enjoy a much healthier setup in a long run. Look into smaller fish species like assessors, gramma, gobies, dartfish. 

My 2 cents and welcome to this very dangerous hobby. :yahoo::yahoo:

• SRC Member
Hi Nick
Dominique here, happened to saw your tank thread only today as I hardly SRC these days.
Congrats, its a well thought minimalist setup. I saw that you are using bio-road as bacteria media and I used them as well for my Arowana pond but feel that they are not as porous or adequate enough for nutrient export in a marine setup which is especially important for setup like ours with little to no rocks. Initially tank may look fine but you may face constant high nitrate level once the tank ages especially so when you have fishes that produce lots of waste. Consider a area in sump with DSB or refugium if space allows.
If you are into reef setup, suggest to leave the surgeon fish out and you will enjoy a much healthier setup in a long run. Look into smaller fish species like assessors, gramma, gobies, dartfish. 

Dominique? E one e hse flood ah? Hahaha

Surgeon fish? U mean tangs?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Yes that was old tank that caused by back flow. 
Tangs are also known as surgeon fish due to the scapel on their back.
Isee. I m jus gonna keep these 3. Pt yt n bt. No more tangs liao. Anw what media would u suggest
I hav 1 block of marine pure

Actually tbh 3 feet is way too small for a surgeon fish. Surgeon fish requires varse space for swimming and grazing. The hippo or blue tang can get up to 1 feet long.

Something along marinepure but a DSB or refugium would be much better for denitrification.

• SRC Member
Actually tbh 3 feet is way too small for a surgeon fish. Surgeon fish requires varse space for swimming and grazing. The hippo or blue tang can get up to 1 feet long.
Something along marinepure but a DSB or refugium would be much better for denitrification.
E algae tuff scrubber? Is it ok?
Deep sand bed is a time bomb.

• SRC Member
6 hours ago, Dispar_Anthias said:

Hi Nick

I second the surgeon fish....they eat and poooooooo so much.......

13 hours ago, Nick Liu said:

E algae tuff scrubber? Is it ok?
Deep sand bed is a time bomb.

DSB only a time bomb when waste and detritus accumulate overtime if its in your main display tank and thats why alot of ppl have it in their sump.

13 hours ago, Nick Liu said:

:( bt they r nice leh. :( Really ah....

Yes, have you seen the amount of poop surgeonfish produce at 1 go. Anyway they shit frequently so getting a glimpse of it isnt that difficult:lol::lol: Of course, that just my 2cents if you want to have a healthier tank in a long run. 

12 hours ago, Nick Liu said:

no lor . but i really thinking must i let go ? life decisions eh

I have raised various tangs (black tang, gem tang, jewel tang, hybrid powder blue) from 50 cent coin size ( I have a weak spot for fishes this size :D)  in my previous setup thinking that smaller ones should produce much lesser waste but I was wrong. I ended up selling them several months later because they get big too fast became more territorial, out compete my more finicky fishes for food and to the mention the amount of waste they produce was crazy.