Chiller connection

Mahesh

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I am setting up Chiller to my Tank. Would like to understand the best connection:

1. Connect chiller to a separate pump and return back the chilled water to sump

2. Connect chiller to a separate pump and return back the chilled water to Main tank

3. T off the return pump outlet to chiller and return back the chilled water to Main tank.

Please share your experiences and advice which method is practically best, any lesson learnt from the senior reefers here.

Thanks in advance.

I’m keen to know more from senior and my thought is. 

Way 1 - is my present connection but believe waste of energy provided if I can reuse the chilled water for another usage like through reactor, etc.. 

Way 2 - save energy compare with way 1 and can afford to downsize circulation pump for main tank, if one pump down you still had one running. 

Way 3 - got no idea.   

• Like 1

I would install separate pump in sump and return chilled water to Main tank. In this way the main tank with fishes & corals will be cool first instead of the sump being cool first without any heat loss. This will also greatly increased the turnover of your tank water volume per hour from sump into main tank & return back into sump. I think not possible to tee off return pump outlet presumably with unfiltered dirty aquarium water from main tank to chiller. Also, a pressure pump is needed to supply higher pressurise water against the flow resistance of the narrow Chiller winding coil. 

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I’m keen to know more from senior and my thought is. 

Way 1 - is my present connection but believe waste of energy provided if I can reuse the chilled water for another usage like through reactor, etc.. 

Way 2 - save energy compare with way 1 and can afford to downsize circulation pump for main tank, if one pump down you still had one running. 

Way 3 - got no idea.   

Thanks for ur comments..

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
I would install separate pump in sump and return chilled water to Main tank. In this way the main tank with fishes & corals will be cool first instead of the sump being cool first without any heat loss. This will also greatly increased the turnover of your tank water volume per hour from sump into main tank & return back into sump. I think not possible to tee off return pump outlet presumably with unfiltered dirty aquarium water from main tank to chiller. Also, a pressure pump is needed to supply higher pressurise water against the flow resistance of the narrow Chiller winding coil. 
I have the same thought of using seperate pump for chiller.
When reading some of the articles, to reduce heat from the srcond pump and to save some energy, they used T off with Ball valve to control the flow to chiller and Main tank. Not sure about the Pro and Cons.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app