Blue tuxedo urchin not eating seaweed

Leystan

Hi! I have a one foot tank with live rock, live sand, one blue tuxedo urchin and one blue leg hermit crab. Tank was started on 13 June, using nsw from a LFS. Urchin was introduced on 13 July, and the crab one week later.

I have tried to feed my urchin some roasted, unseasoned seaweed normally used for sushi rolls. But it's not eating them. Hermit crab eats the hikari crab cuisine readily.

Urchin is not losing spines nor color. It's moving around my live rock. Here's what puzzles me. I do not see any algae on the rock at all! Hence i tried to supplement its diet with seaweed.

1) may I know what brand of seaweed you guys use for urchin feeding?

2) should I get some coralline algae starter package to grow some for them to eat?

Thank you very much for your advice!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Hi! I have a one foot tank with live rock, live sand, one blue tuxedo urchin and one blue leg hermit crab. Tank was started on 13 June, using nsw from a LFS. Urchin was introduced on 13 July, and the crab one week later.

I have tried to feed my urchin some roasted, unseasoned seaweed normally used for sushi rolls. But it's not eating them. Hermit crab eats the hikari crab cuisine readily.

Urchin is not losing spines nor color. It's moving around my live rock. Here's what puzzles me. I do not see any algae on the rock at all! Hence i tried to supplement its diet with seaweed.

1) may I know what brand of seaweed you guys use for urchin feeding?

2) should I get some coralline algae starter package to grow some for them to eat?

Thank you very much for your advice!

I dunno but in my case maybe the shop is not feeding the urchin so the urchin dont eat? As my 90% of organism that died of hunger hav not eaten anything at the shop so yeah.

• SRC Member
Hi. It's still not eating the seaweed. Yesterday, I gave one nls Betta formula pellet. And it ate it. I thought they are herbivores....

they are scavengers and usually eat watever they can find although i dont know why it dont eat seaweed

• SRC Member
It doesn't take hikari algae wafer and the roasted seaweed. Could it be because the seaweed is roasted?

probably yes as i dont feed my ones any thing thats cooked so yeah try to get some fresh seaweed, but usually tuxedos is not very picky about food so im not sure, leave it to the experts maybe?

The tuxedo urchin needs algae, mine prefer coralline algae. One way to see if it is surviving is that it likes to "carry" things around on its spine. Good if you can post a picture to see its condition. Try to do more research and let the tank mature for at least 6 months before planning what to add next.