Why such expensive pumps?

• SRC Member

Hi guys, just a newbie question here.

As I've posted earlier, I have bought Jebao DCW-6000 for my 4 ft. It has a great flow rate of max 6200l/h, with a great power saving wattage of only 45W. That's like only $7 per month when turned on 24/7 at max power. However, as I browsed through the forum, most people are using brands like EHEIM or Reef Octopus, which cost almost double the price for a lower flow rate and almost double the wattage. This is also applicable to the other Jebao pumps, not just the DCW, but I notice that Jebao is only more known for their wavemakers. Am I missing out on a key factor in choosing a return pump? Or is it just that the EHEIM pumps are just generally more popular as it became a trend? Thanks:) Asking as I'm wondering if I can exchange my current pump still unused with the shop. 

• SRC Member
5 minutes ago, PaulPaul01 said:

As I've posted earlier, I have bought Jebao DCW-6000 for my 4 ft. It has a great flow rate of max 6200l/h, with a great power saving wattage of only 45W. That's like only $7 per month when turned on 24/7 at max power. However, as I browsed through the forum, most people are using brands like EHEIM or Reef Octopus, which cost almost double the price for a lower flow rate and almost double the wattage. This is also applicable to the other Jebao pumps, not just the DCW, but I notice that Jebao is only more known for their wavemakers. Am I missing out on a key factor in choosing a return pump? Or is it just that the EHEIM pumps are just generally more popular as it became a trend? Thanks:) Asking as I'm wondering if I can exchange my current pump still unused with the shop. 

Alot of it is down to reliability. My personal experience with the jebao pumps is that they tend to fail prematurely. Its frustrating when you have to keep checking on the pump daily because you never know if it will fail. But that's my own experience. Other may have a completely different experience from me. I've bought 4 jebao pumps in my lifetime. After that I just stopped.

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, PaulPaul01 said:

Actually, a Casio quartz watch costing less than $10 tells the same time as a Patek costing many thousand times more. I think it’s personal preference. 

Jokes aside, as mentioned, paying the premium for more “perceived” reliability. Heard great things about jebao. I’m considering selling my gyre and change to jebao too. Since I can’t afford the vortechs. Lol

As long as it’s an upgrade where it cost more. Normally LFS will oblige. 

• SRC Supporter

As with many products, generally, a more expensive product comes with more R&D, more innovation, better performance vs competition at that time, more testing validation during development (i.e. better reliability), better materials used etc.

DC pumps are generally more energy efficient than AC pumps and gaining popularity. Hence its hard to compare Jebao DC pumps vs Eheim AC pumps. DC pumps come with more electronics for variable speed etc (nice to have).

Its always good to have backup systems as things can fail. Have 2 pumps, battery backups etc. 

Personally i'm running vortech wavemaker with battery backup. And 2 Vectra return pumps. Nor cheap but it gives more peace of mind

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

I agree 100% with the previous comments. There’s a reason why Ecotech, AI, Maxspect, Eheim products cost more. Quality components and manufacturing, not to mention a great reputation with aquarists around the world.

We spent lots of money on our corals and fish and it’s a shame to lose them because equipment that we saved a few bucks on failed prematurely.

That’s not to say that higher priced equipment doesn’t break, because in this hobby, things always happen.

There are certainly areas where the higher costs don’t equate to better performance or lower risk. Research, as well as talking to other reefers, is worth it’s weight in gold. In my opinion, this is the best way to reduce costs.

Return/circulation pumps are critical to the survival of corals and fish. My experience has taught me that if you do it right the first time, it may be more expensive initially but not typically in the long run.

This is just my opinion. It’s up to each reefer to decide when and where they are comfortable cutting costs.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Go for the L1. It will be sufficient enough even along the way u got additional addon. I am using a M1 and L1, my M1 was from my previously 4ft Tank. and its coming to nearly two years

M1 can do, but u are not allowing space to upgrade if u need additional water flow to supply other addon along the way.

And u do not need to run 100%, i only run 70% for my L1 pump. Its not good to constantly run 100% for motor, especially if its running 24/7

8 minutes ago, ronnieloong said:

By the way asking for some advise what size of vectra would be enough to served XL 525 RS tank. It will be serving the return, chiller and chaeto reactor with manifold. Don't mind asking also how many yrs have it served up to date for those using vectra pump,

• SRC Supporter
3 hours ago, ronnieloong said:

By the way asking for some advise what size of vectra would be enough to served XL 525 RS tank. It will be serving the return, chiller and chaeto reactor with manifold. Don't mind asking also how many yrs have it served up to date for those using vectra pump,

Your tank is 525L. The Vectra M1 is rated 7500L/hr which is more than 10x.  If using on its own, the M1 is more than enough. 

The Vectra is nice as it is able to go into "feed mode" where the pumps slow down to a trickle so that food won't go into the overflow or siphon back to the sump through the return pipe.

Personally I don't T off the main returns - Keep it as dedicated pumps. But use a separate smaller pump for all the reactors.

My Vectra M1s are about 1.8yrs.  Vectra S1 is about 9 months. Absolutely problem free.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
Go for the L1. It will be sufficient enough even along the way u got additional addon. I am using a M1 and L1, my M1 was from my previously 4ft Tank. and its coming to nearly two years
M1 can do, but u are not allowing space to upgrade if u need additional water flow to supply other addon along the way.
And u do not need to run 100%, i only run 70% for my L1 pump. Its not good to constantly run 100% for motor, especially if its running 24/7

Thanks for your info Shetland bro.

• SRC Member
Your tank is 525L. The Vectra M1 is rated 7500L/hr which is more than 10x.  If using on its own, the M1 is more than enough. 
The Vectra is nice as it is able to go into "feed mode" where the pumps slow down to a trickle so that food won't go into the overflow or siphon back to the sump through the return pipe.

Personally I don't T off the main returns - Keep it as dedicated pumps. But use a separate smaller pump for all the reactors.
My Vectra M1 is about 1.8yrs.  Vectra S1 is about 9 months. Absolutely problem free.

Seems like another good idea. Thanks for sharing

• SRC Member

I am using L1 as my main return pump and my M1 is also a return pump (control flow) plus for my gfa reactor, carbon reactor and for a new equipment the Clarisea roller. 

since u are going to chiller and then back to your pump. M1 might be less effective if u ever going to T off using only one pump.

If its a dedicated pump, M1 would suffice.

• SRC Member

If you can,  use two smaller pumps instead of a large one.  In case one pump fails, your system can still keep running while you get it fixed. 

If have the budget,  run two m1 at 3/4 power would be nice. 

• SRC Member
I am using L1 as my main return pump and my M1 is also a return pump (control flow) plus for my gfa reactor, carbon reactor and for a new equipment the Clarisea roller. 
since u are going to chiller and then back to your pump. M1 might be less effective if u ever going to T off using only one pump.
If its a dedicated pump, M1 would suffice.

For the Clarissa roller is it from the return by gravity flow ? Would think to add this instead of using socks.

• SRC Member
If you can,  use two smaller pumps instead of a large one.  In case one pump fails, your system can still keep running while you get it fixed. 
If have the budget,  run two m1 at 3/4 power would be nice. 

Yeah. Most probably vectra for the main return and get another controllable pump for the others