Skimmer With The Return Pump?

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I have a limited amount of space in my sump, where there are only three sections, being firstly the output from the overflow, and then a large centre portion for a refugium or skimmer, and then the portion for the return pump. Should I just ditch the refugium idea? Or can I place the skimmer with the return pump? Thank you:)

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

hi - there is a reason why in general there is a compartment for return pump and another for skimmer. 

some reasons are:

1. skimmer is sensitive to water level and its best to place in a compartment where the water level is constant. 

2. skimmer output could produce micro bubble and if you put it together with return pump you will end up with a lot of micro bubbles in your display tank. normally there is a bubble trap between return pump and skimmer. 

3. you also need to have an ATO to keep the water level/overall level constant. 

if you do not have space for refugium, you can opt for ATS or chaeto reactor. 

• SRC Member
hi - there is a reason why in general there is a compartment for return pump and another for skimmer. 
some reasons are:
1. skimmer is sensitive to water level and its best to place in a compartment where the water level is constant. 
2. skimmer output could produce micro bubble and if you put it together with return pump you will end up with a lot of micro bubbles in your display tank. normally there is a bubble trap between return pump and skimmer. 
3. you also need to have an ATO to keep the water level/overall level constant. 
if you do not have space for refugium, you can opt for ATS or chaeto reactor. 
I see thx a lot bro, so many things to learn in this hobby hahahah
While setting the tank up, would you recommend I begin with a refugium or a skimmer first?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

hi - if you are looking to control nutrient (no3, po4),  then start with a skimmer. 

you will need a very big refugium in order to be effective in nutrient control. 

• SRC Member
10 hours ago, Ranz said:

hi - if you are looking to control nutrient (no3, po4),  then start with a skimmer. 

you will need a very big refugium in order to be effective in nutrient control. 

Thx a lot, cos I just got an NAC 3.5 from a kind guy and I was wondering if it would be necessary. I thought about it and I figured using an algae scrubber would be easier to set up than having to get a chaeto reactor. So I can get the extra nutrient control.