Peacock mantis shrimp not very active

NubReefer

• SRC Member

So today i gone to CF and saw three mantises, male at a fairly cheap price so i grabbed the smallest one. The mantis is very active in the bag while im acclimating it, its a huge difference so i plan to acclimate it slowly but my annoying sister go and put it in after 30 min and the difference between the two tanks salinity is still so huge! Then the mantis stopped and become very ignorant of everything and basically did not move at all

Except for once which it actually turned around to walk but very quickly stopped again. The eyes is moving and is aware of the surrounding, it also clean ots eyes periodically. But the most scariest thing is that it does not "use" its "claws" when i try to look for response, it did not even bother turning into defencing posture.

Is this normal or am i about to lose one my favourite mantis?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Just give it time to acclimatize to its new environment. They are very hardy and should be able to tahan some salinity swings. Make sure to provide a pvc pipe or someplace for them to hide and feel safe.
Mine is hidden in his pipe most of the time just occasionally peeking his head out. Except when he is hungry then he will swim around actively

• SRC Member

Yes, give it some time. It is very hardy. Once, my new peacock mantis was all curled up and i thot it is gone. But after a couple of days it is back to its active self again. Good to know there is another mantis lover.    :)

• SRC Member

Its my first time caring for a mantis shrimp sooo is there any care im suppose to have, i know that it is very big so i provided a huge tank. And i have several hiding spots. I feed my other mantis crab limbs or mysis, they like both of it. So am i doing something wrong with the peacock mantis? I really want to have another one but dont want tragedy to happen, Again. Thx

You’re intending to keep more than one mantis in the same tank? I think that is tragedy waiting to happen.. Even if your tank is really huge, there’s still a chance they’ll get into a fight and you might lose one.

Feeding wise, a variety of foods is best. I give my peacock pieces of prawn, clams with the shell on and small live crab. Can get those from supermarket cheap. Sometimes will soak the prawn in Selcon too.

If you have a spearer, can consider the occasional live feeder fish too. A bit cruel, but that’s just nature

• SRC Member
You’re intending to keep more than one mantis in the same tank? I think that is tragedy waiting to happen.. Even if your tank is really huge, there’s still a chance they’ll get into a fight and you might lose one.

Feeding wise, a variety of foods is best. I give my peacock pieces of prawn, clams with the shell on and small live crab. Can get those from supermarket cheap. Sometimes will soak the prawn in Selcon too.

If you have a spearer, can consider the occasional live feeder fish too. A bit cruel, but that’s just nature

No i did not intend to put two togethet
And btw what do i do if the new mantis shrimp doesnt eat anything that i offer but its behaving properly like its moving an hitting the feeder stick..

No i did not intend to put two togethet
And btw what do i do if the new mantis shrimp doesnt eat anything that i offer but its behaving properly like its moving an hitting the feeder stick..

It’s hitting the stick and grabbing the food but not eating? What mantis shrimp is it?

peacock mantis shrimp, it takes the food and take it out of its cave an leave it there. 

Maybe it is not hungry. They don’t need to be fed very often. I feed mine twice a week, any more and it will just take the food and leave it outside his house like yours. In general I can tell it is hungry when it spends more time out and about looking for food

• SRC Supporter
Should not be... its banging on the tank during the day and it maintain a defensive posture when i get near, so far im feeding it dead food. Maybe get it some live food?

Try feeding some live mussel from sheng siong.

• 1 month later...