Advise on my first Nano Tank

Had been reading alot. I guess It’s time for me to stop dreaming that I had one of this tank and get my room one. 

Any advise which tank is good for starter? IM10 or IM20?

Thank in advance!

Edited by Manji

• SRC Member

Welcome! Definitely set up a tank if you can, the results can be very rewarding..

IMO, go for larger tank to maximize your water volume. If space allows it, the bigger the better. This is for the reason of water stability where larger volumes are less sensitive to fluctuations around temperature, salinity, & other water parameters. With stable parameters, the reef has a higher chance of thriving 

• SRC Supporter

Agree. A larger tank is always better for the reasons JMW mentioned. 

What is your set up going to be like? Equipment planned & livestock?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
4 hours ago, Manji said:

Had been reading alot. I guess It’s time for me to stop dreaming that I had one of this tank and get my room one. 

Any advise which tank is good for starter? IM10 or IM20?

Thank in advance!

I second that you should get the biggest tank that your space or finances allow. And don’t rush into it. If you rush things like I did, eventually there’s a payback time where you may have to put in more time and effort to rectify issues. 

Take your time to plan the equipment and livestock list too. If there’s a budget, you can take time to look for good used deals at the pasar Malam section too. 

Enjoy the journey and welcome to the dark side. 

Hi all,

Thanks you all for the prompt response!

I haven’t decide on my equipment and livestock yet, maybe clown fish! Any other recommend?

I had researched that IM Nuvo tank is All-in-One Systems fish tank, I guess I will need

- Rock, I guess I will be using live rock.
I read it somewhere. It is best to use Live Rock since “Live rocks introduce algae, bacteria and other organisms native to wild reefs, it boosts nitrogen cycle efficiency, which is the natural process of converting ammonia to nitrites and nitrates”

- Return Pump, is the stock return pump good? Or I need to get a better one?
- Pump for water flow/movement? I also read it somewhere. “Water circulation determines the health, survival and overall appearance of these magical organisms” Do I need to get a pump for it?

- Chiller, is to monitors the temperature and switches the aquarium chiller on when the water temperature gets too high.

- Light, since plants use sunlight to make their own food (Photosynthesis). A good light play an essential role in coral algae photosynthesis.

Is there anything I missed out?

Sorry, this post is long but I hope this will benefit all the new people that want to start their first tank too.

Below is the link for the Tank that inspired me!:
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/353546-teenyreefs-10g-fusion-reef-hobbyist-magazine-article/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2018 at 8:36 AM, Jeebusai said:

I second that you should get the biggest tank that your space or finances allow. And don’t rush into it. If you rush things like I did, eventually there’s a payback time where you may have to put in more time and effort to rectify issues. 

Take your time to plan the equipment and livestock list too. If there’s a budget, you can take time to look for good used deals at the pasar Malam section too. 

Enjoy the journey and welcome to the dark side. 

Haha dark side.

Ya use dead/dry rocks better, you have more control of what's in your tank.

Pumps for water flow, you can use jebao OW series, they are cheap but good quality imo. Comes with controller for that price not bad.

Chiller, Teco is a good brand, Hailea much cheaper but also good.

Lighting, jebao has a replica of kessil model, but I haven't tried it yet. (Anyone with experience? I'm also interested.)

Skimmer, I personally prefer Tunze.

And use those Pro salt, those with calc alk and mag at good levels. Use normal salt for cycling, then change to Pro. Normal salt usually have lower alk around 7.5dkh, which mean slower growth for stony corals. Then you waste dosing to bring it up.